Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Purple8
Casual Contributor

Driving phobia

Has anyone with bipolar lost their liscence. Worried it’s going to happen to me, 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Driving phobia

Good Evening @Purple8 ,

Firstly, welcome to the forums. It's great you have been able to seek support from the community here at SANE.

In terms of your question, I think it goes deeper than a simple - Yes, you will lose your licence, or No, you will not lose your licence.

From experience, if you have a condition (whether bipolar or not) which affects your driving so it is deemed unsafe, then yes, licences have been suspended until medical clearance has been received.

However, if a driving offence is NOT related to one's condition, then no, you probably won't get it suspended based on condition.

Hope that makes some sense.

The main thing is, these policies and procedures are there to keep the community safe(r). 

Take care,

tyme

I haven’t had a driving offence. Haven’t been driving due to a broken hip. Can now. My husband told psychiatrist that I’m nervous to lose my liscence. Plan to have driving lessons.

Case by case basis @Purple8 . 

It sounds like there's a bit of anxiety there too. Do you have a therapist who can work with you on your driving phobia?

From experience, when people with a mental health condition 'lose' their licence (or get it suspended), it is because of a driving offence. Hence, they have the option to have their licence suspended (due to health reasons), or have it on their record as a driving offence (without medical exemption).

Another thing is, do you feel you have to drive? I know many people who prefer not to drive, and they manage absolutely fine.

I cannot say much because I'm not sure of what is happening for you. I think it would be good to speak to your GP about your 'driving phobia'? What do you think?

Kindest,

tyme

I haven’t seen my psychologist since last year but I’m trying to organise it now. Yes I have to drive. Hoping driving lessons will get me to pass a test. Thanks for your input.

@Purple8   I dont drive any more because of hand tremors due to the medication that I am on.  I still have my license though.

@Purple8 

In my experience- with only mental health, non-physical 'barriers' to driving- I have to get a Medical clearance from my psychiatrist (or GP) each year. The state sends me a form each year and the medical professional fills it out. So, if your Dr gives you the all clear then yeah, you're all good.

Driving lessons a good idea if you're a bit hesitant with driving

Lastly, you mention an actual 'test'. This is not something I've had to do, so sorry can't comment on that. I guess each state and territory are different, too.

Good luck with it 🙂

I have clearance from surgeon an psychiatrist. So I started driving alone. I’ve done it twice now with places I’ve been before. So far so good. Not sure about driving at night and reverse parking. I need to deal with this with my driving instructor.

Well done @Purple8 won taking this huge step!

thank you for sharing this with the SANE community!

slow and steady is best.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance