Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Pets and Grief

The website Centre for Loss has 5 books on Pets and Loss.

Its an important issue

for individuals, kids, and families

I'll try and post a link but am hopeless at that kind of stuff.

https://www.centerforloss.com/bookstore-category/for-adults/pet-loss

I dont have money to go out buy all the great books around, but find that researching the web .. i get enough ideas and support.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pets and Grief

Hi @appkeblossom. I find my local library is also a good place to get books. If they don't have a particular book, they will check which library has it and order it for me. I also goigle and browse the net, but I love holding a real book in my hands.

My beautiful dog gained her angel wings yesterday and I'm just so devastated. I feel like i want to doe or a part of me did

Hi @Lostmotivation
It's so very difficult when we lose a beloved pet. There aren't words that are adequate enough to describe our grief.

Be gentle with yourself today and in the coming days. If you can try to think about all the wonderful memories you have of your special dog and celebrate the good life you were able to with your darling doggy.

I have a special place on my wall for the beautiful pets that have shared their love with me. I find sitting and looking at their photos very comforting and these photos remind me of the treasured memories of my furry friends.

Hugzz 💕

@Lostmotivation. I'm so sorry your dog has passed away.
Do you feel up to telling us a little about her? What was her name? What did you love most about her?
Former-Member
Not applicable

😟 I've seen so much human loss that it's just too hard to fuss over dying pets Not that they're not gonna be missed... or suffer pain... but I've lived both and believe me... a dying pet...
ITS NOT THE SAME!
I don't want my heart ripped open over this. Maybe that's a shortcoming on my part, I donno, it's survival - I have to draw the line somewhere to try guard my heart from unnecessary sepage I guess, not much left there. So sorry but we don't have to drag out the hurt over pets. I donno, maybe there's something wrong with me. Not that I dont love and care for my own adorable furbaby, she's such a blessing, losing her would be hard, and watching her suffer impossible... but it's just not the same as human loss. I want to help the grief here but... i just can't risk plugging holes in the dam wall of my own grief... not over pets... nor am I at ease associating animal loss with my human loss memories... I just can't... I'm sorry... it hurts too much 😢😞
I completely understand what your saying about pets and Humans. I really get it I truly do, but I am just saying now my platform in life has my kindest and truly loves me unconditionally are my beautiful pets,
I have some beautiful Humans left at this part of my life left, that I feel special when we are together or something that is life, but I believe my family of Animals love me the most just saying, thought I would share my thoughts at this moment but Clawde understands and gets it, Thankyou for your kindness in your post 👍

Thankful for knowing animals in my life.  They have mostly passed.  Even the wonderful lion Johari.

Heart

Still have the ashes for one cat on bookshelf for a scattering with my son, when he is ready.

Heart

Mindful that cat's death triggered the other massive losses in my life, and sent me into serious vulnerable spin in October last year.

Heart

Mindful to be careful of general forum sensitivities and whatever is discussed.

Heart

Not ready to get a "replacement" yet, despite being told to on a few fronts.

Heart

Very mindful of life and death needs, especially mammals.

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance