Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Autism and empathy cognitive deficits

I found this video helpful in discussing a difference between narcissism and autism.  That in autism the difficulties around empathy is with recognising feelings in self and others, whereas in narcissism the person recognises their own feelings and is aware of others feelings, but does not care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDda93M_mg 

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Autism and empathy cognitive deficits

This psych reminds me so much of Lilly Singh, the commedian. Even the mannerisms. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were related or something.

@Appleblossom @wellwellwellnez  interesting son2 main diagnosis is autism but he is a typical and understands and appreciates pain and happiness in others. What he cannot understand is when someone is lying to him which makes him very vulnerable to evil people..... at least he knows that and is very courcious.....pea

I am not sure I can tell when people are lying @greenpea but getting more of a BS detector, was probably a bit like your boy ...

Heart

@wellwellwellnez  ha ha.

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  BS detector is right until it comes to a pretty face then we are in trouble

ahh @greenpea  That is where we mums of sons have role, no matter all the stuff about mother in laws. I have to hold my son's interests in mind while he let go and felt he had no rights.

Heart

@Appleblossom  @yes we have to be there to make sure our sons dont get lost.

Thanks @Appleblossom was really worth the look 👏

The "vulnerable narcism" concept has gotten right under my skin. I'm seeing it everywhere now. It's unsettling, but thankyou.

@wellwellwellnez That presenter annoyed me at first, but I tried to work with my frustration if there was anything useful.  I have never had much option but to "suck it up" until very recently, so its hard wired in me.  I am probably autistic about it, or it contributed to my sense of being autistic.  Some will claim autism is born not made.... About 30 years ago I deeply resonated with this book ... it described a lot of my sense of early isolation, due to repeated uprooting and being placed in new schools again and again and again and again, cos of parents moving or the govt deciding ...weird .. in that I became prosocial cos always surrounded by people in my space, but few good relationships cos few that actually knew me.  The Textures of Silence Paperback

I am not officially diagnosed as it would take a lot of family finances, but my son is, and his doc said both his parents probably were, we struggled with other things, but I see it as one way of looking at people and the distribution of traits.  Trait distribution in my mind can obscure "process issues" but there is a lot of data around ... in the ether ... tends to be better than ye old days when it was mainly discussed as astrology ....

Recent discussion of autism and Narcissism are all over the web.  In many ways I am old school in that my studies and thinking in the field of PSYCHOSOCIAL THEORY go back, but my social circumstances were too extreme and poverty ridden that I could not adopt a middle class experience matching my qualifications.  I try to put it some use on here.

Narcissism sums up so many destructive personality traits, its the word and concept we all love to hate, or the new Devil with clinical-scientific speak horns. 

I had difficulty with any form of self care beyond basics for bodily survival, mainly focussed on others from young age (6 yrs) and had to do a lot of work to unpack myself, responses and attitudes.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance