Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: You Can't Ask That: Schizophrenia

...Geez that must have been so heartbreaking to see your parents evaporate before your own eyes. Scary too. I once thought that there was a guy playing a guitar in my bedroom and that there were little green goblins in my parents bedroom. I was so scared to open the door so I kept it shut until the ambulance arrived becuase I called 000. I also think that people can read my mind but that they do it in the nicest way possible. I hear voices too, or rather a voice which always tells me to hurry.

@Foxypuss wrote:

My experience with schizophrenia didn't include hearing voices but I did once have visual hallucianations that spoke to me.  I spoke to my parents whom I thought were sitting in the room with me until they both evaporated before my eyes.  I have also had the delusion that people can read my mind.  I thought my thoughts were so loud that others could hear them.  I also thought I could see people eyeing me and boring into my brain.  Another delusion that I have had is that other people were automatons and weren't really conscious but I was.  It made me feel very alone.

How are you this morning @johnnymarrfan?

I noticed you are about the place early like myself this morning...

Did you watch the programme last night?..

I started watching from the series 1 episode 1 ....I have recorded last nights

If you saw the episode last night what were your thoughts?

SophiaCat Happy

Hi Sophia1 I think that I saw most of last night's episode of you can't ask
that: Schizophrenia. I valued each person's own lived experience of. It Can
Be Scary At First but I strongly believe that symptoms can be managed with
Meds. I am also a Christian.

@Keeley, @Monkey5, @Foxypuss, how are you this morning

i found last night interesting

Hello @johnnymarrfan

Yes that does seem to be the general consensus...once the person accepts that they have that diagnosis...

I am yet to watch the programme....am looking forward to the what not to ask and what is preferable...

I have found the first few episodes of the series very interesting....

in particular the short statured episode from their perspective...

I am hoping that the series will encourage more programmes allowing us who do not know enough information....google is not the best place for some questions...to feel more comfortable ...

Cat Happy

Thankyou Sophie. I think that you have hit the nail on the head re:
acceptance of Diagnosis and then how to best manage symptoms. I accept that
I have Schizophrenia.

I think my sister maybe suffering from Schizophrenia but I'm fearful to bring it up. Our mother has been a long sufferer of mental health problems such as BPD and the suggestion to my sister that she too could be suffering a mental illness in the past as angered her. Her psychosis seems to resemble many of the brave folks who shared their stories on last nights show.  She too has delusions of grandeur, visual and auditory hallucinations.  

I wish they asked last night "what's the best approach to help someone who's suffering a psychosis"?.

I could relate to all the individuals in the program, with their similarities and differences.  Its so important this approach is out in the media.

Heart

Its so difficult to know what to do @Mirrorball irl.  

My sister had schizoaffective ... but I was probably the one who saw her most seriously fully paranoid and schizophrenic behaviours while she was alive. She had already come to the attention of police and medical people because of acting out behaviours.

Things were also different back then.

My best guess is be as available and encourging as possible, without letting it damage your own well being.  Encourage help seeking behaviours specifically as well as general life issues.

A bit depends on whether you are older or younger, what other suports are available to her, and YOU, how extreme her mood states are ....how much you should take on ...

Take care of you too..

Heart

Thank you Appleblossum.

Such great words of wisdom in your response and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm actually the younger sister by 9 years so there's a dynamic that already exists between the eldest and youngest of siblings. I'm currently seeing a councellor to guide me through the process to ensure I keep afloat. Thanks again Appleblossum

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance