Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // NDIS: A Carers Journey // Tues 19 Nov, 7pm AEDT

tt-png-carers.png

Navigating our wonderful Peer Ambassador, Sarah's perspective of the NDIS as a carer, sound-boarding and discussing our experience as well as how to make the most of the resources available in a caring role.

More info coming soon 😊

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT- 7pm
  • AEST- 6pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

65 REPLIES 65

Re: Topic Tuesday // NDIS: A Carers Journey // Tues 19 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Thanks everyone for joining in on Tonight’s special Topic Tuesday event “NDIS: A Carers Journey”. This is such an important discussion for many of our members and we are so fortunate to have one of our wonderful Peer Ambasaddors, Sarah, to share her own journey with the NDIS as well some reflections on how to make the most of the scheme.

A special warm welcome to members who supported tonight's event 😄

@Former-Member @CheerBear @ajbhai  @frog @WJS @eth @Determined @Shaz51 @Former-Member 

**One more note! our guest for tonight - Sarah is not an NDIS worker and cannot answer specific questions about peoples concerns on the NDIS but can speak to her own experience and personal knowledge. Please also keep in mind our guidelines around defamation and repeated criticism of service. it’s okay to explore our frustrations with different services if needs be – however we must be mindful not to direct people not to use them. If you have any questions about this please email team@saneforums.org and we can provide further insight

I am just going to allow everyone a few minutes to settle in 😄 And let our wonderful @SarahPeerAmb say hi!

Hi everyone and thanks for the intro @nashy . I'm looking forward to the discussions tonight.

hello @nashy , @SarahPeerAmb Smiley Very HappyHeart

hello again Nashy and hello @SarahPeerAmb looking forward to it .enjoy sanes online discussions 🙂

Welcome @Shaz51  and @Former-Member :D! Thank you for coming tonight. I will be posting discussion point one in a couple of minutes Heart

hello @Former-Member Heart

Thanks @Former-Member and @Shaz51 - I feel welcome already! 🙂

Alrighty wonderful people @SarahPeerAmb  @Shaz51 @Former-Member 
Kicking off Discussion Point One!

There are many reasons as carers we have to engage in the NDIS program.

What led you to engage in the NDIS service?

29 years ago one of my brothers sustained an acquired brain injury when he was physically assaulted at a party. He began exhibiting symptoms of psychosis and was later diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Approximately one year later my other brother, who was studying Year 12 at the time – also began experiencing psychosis symptoms and was diagnosed immediately by a psychiatrist with Schizophrenia.

My brothers have never received adequate support to manage their illness – so when we heard about the NDIS we applied on behalf on my brothers as soon as we could – in fact, we applied 6 months before they were able to be included in the scheme.

We have had a very positive experience – we received support from Partners in Recovery and another non-government organisation to make applications on behalf of my brothers. Once they ‘met access’, we specifically asked for a NDIA (not Local Area Coordinator) planner who we know was highly skilled and experienced. The planning process – although anxiety-provoking for us all – was thorough and the planner has maintained contact with our family as my brothers were placed in the “complex needs” stream. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance