Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

Dear Daughter - often used in forums

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

ohh @YTT

I have lots of carer`s fatique , I have found being on the Sane forum has helped me soo much for me and helping my husband who has MI

Hi @JonCarer  - can you share a little more about the Mental Health Act - particularly the parts related to carers? Is it state specific and different between states, or national?

Duel Diagnosis - it can simply mean having 2 conditions at once, but is most commonly used to describe co-occuring mental health and substance issues.

@Shaz51 I went the wrong way to get help !!! I ended up being the one needing help 😞 

Tonight is the first night that my husband has been away since ... I went the wrong way to get help. (my husband is away for work a lot)

The Mental Health Acts are state acts that govern the management particularly of involuntary mental health treatment (but which cover a lot of the continuum of care as well, so also voluntary treatment in a public mental health service).

All MHAs recognise carers to some degree, the NSW Act has been most innovative in this recognition and seeks to facilitate carer recognition and appropriate inclusion in care.

@JonCarer Interesting! What's the best way for carers to find out more about their rights related to the Mental Health Acts?

It is really imprtant for carers to look after their own mental and physical health too, as caring can be very stressful, particularly if you are struggling to get care for your loved one. But if you wear yourself out you won't be able to look after yourself, let alone anyone else!

There are some great resources like the Mental Health Coordinating Council's on-line Mental Health Rights Manual:

http://mhrm.mhcc.org.au/home/

But many health services can give you a staement of carer rights and organisations like Mental Health Carers NSW provide informatin resources and education around things like carer rights and advocacy.

I agree @JonCarer , @NikNik,

when i was first married and with the children being a lot younger , I found it very hard for years and with my husband nearly taking his life and ending up in hospital , ohh it is a lot of learning and trying to get a balance

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance