Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

hanami
Senior Contributor

National Volunteer Week!

🤗🤗🤗   The 16th - 22nd of May is National Volunteer Week!  🤗🤗🤗

hanami_3-1652660120801.png

National Volunteer Week is Australia's largest annual celebration of volunteering. The theme for this year is "Better Together". Volunteering brings people together, builds communities, and creates a better society for everyone. 

Here on our Sane forums we are ever so grateful for our amazing volunteers, our Community Guides and want to take this opportunity to say a huge THANK YOU 💓  @Snowie @NatureLover  @jem80 @Aniela @Shaz51 @AussieRecharger @ShiningStar @outlander @HenryX @Judi9877 @Zoe7 @wellwellwellnez @Eve7 @maddison @Boo13 @pinklollipop15   @CrazyChick@Hams @Faith-and-Hope @BPDSurvivor 

Helping others in the form of volunteering is actually one of the ways psychologists recommend to help us maintain wellbeing. From improving health and happiness to promoting strong social networks, boosting mood, and making new friends. Take a look at this article to read about some surprising benefits of volunteering. 

If you are keen to get into volunteering but don't know where to start there are a vast array of opportunites. Check this website for ideas in your local area.

To celebrate National Volunteer Week we'd love to hear your volunteering stories.

Do you volunteer?

Have you volunteered in the past? 

And what is the best thing about being a volunteer?

hanami_4-1652660224243.jpeg

10 REPLIES 10

Re: National Volunteer Week!

Thankyou @Shaz51 !!!

🙂

Thank you @hanami and @Shaz51 💖

Happy National Volunteer week to all who volunteer and to my fellow-CGs @Faith-and-Hope @Flying_Hams @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @outlander @Snowie @Boo13 @Eve7 @Zoe7 @HenryX @Anastasia @maddison @NatureLover @pinklollipop15 @wellwellwellnez @AussieRecharger @jem80 @Aniela @ShiningStar 

Do you volunteer? Yes, to the capacity that I am

able.

Have you volunteered in the past? Yes, I’ve always volunteered right back from my primary school days, but being a CG with SANE Australia is my first volunteering role in MH.

And what is the best thing about being a volunteer? You get so much more in return than you first bargained for! The connection you develop really keeps you going.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

BPDSurvivor

I echo your sentiments @BPDSurvivor , thank you for the tag 💜

@hanami wrote:

Helping others in the form of volunteering is actually one of the ways psychologists recommend to help us maintain wellbeing. 

Thanks for this, @hanami , as I knew volunteering did me good but didn't know it was actually recommended by  psychologists.

Do you volunteer?

Yes, here and elsewhere. 

Have you volunteered in the past? 

Yes, when I was a young adult I volunteered teaching English to migrants for a few years. 

And what is the best thing about being a volunteer?

I think the sense of being useful and needed. 

Hey @NatureLover 

I used to help teach English to Japanese exchange students. I loved it! It was so much fun and we had many hilarious moments trying to working out what each of us was trying to say.

hanami 💮

Hi @hanami @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer @tyme @Rhye @Paperdaisy @Snowie @BPDSurvivor @jem80 @CrazyChick @Faith-and-Hope @outlander @Zoe7 @Boo13 @maddison @pinklollipop15 @Aniela @NatureLover @ShiningStar @wellwellwellnez @AussieRecharger @HenryX and all CGs and SANE staff here. Happy Volunteer week everyone!

In regards to my volunteer activities, this role as a Community Guide is my first role in mental health but I have volunteered in the past with me wanting to get back into doing some more to get some work experience in different areas so I can hopefully get a casual or part time job later on. That’s the aim at least! I’m going through some confusing times in relation to what I want in my life right now so volunteering is a way of doing something and keeping myself active in the community and preventing boredom which I really struggle with, especially mentally. 

It feels good doing volunteer work here at SANE Australia as I’m constantly learning new things about myself and others which is what I like about volunteer work. It’s challenging at times but equally enjoyable as well. 

That’s all from me!

Judi9877☺️💐🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance