Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

FloatingFeather
Senior Contributor

HOMELESSNESS WEEK AUSTRALIA: 1–7 AUGUST

"Homeless people are not the problem, they are the result of the problem" 

Unknown

Homelessness 2022 (1-7 August) is an annual campaign coordinated by Homelessness Australia. It seeks to raise awareness around people experiencing homelessness, the issues they face, and the action needed to achieve long-lasting solutions, including increasing the supply of social housing.

In Australia there are over 116,000 people experiencing homelessness on any given night. Homelessness Week aims to raise awareness of the impact of homelessness on Australia via national and local community events, including providing information on the importance of housing as a solution and educating communities on how they can make a difference.

What can cause homelessness?

Homelessness can be caused by family violence, physical health issues (e.g. accident at work and bills pill up), loss of employment, under-employment or inability to gain a new job, limited housing / rental stress, drug and alcohol addiction, traumatic experiences, and mental health issues.

Homelessness and mental health

Sadly, people with mental illness are more like to be at risk of homelessness due to increased vulnerability, difficulty sustaining employment, and withdrawing from friends and family. The stress that comes with homelessness also in turn increases the risk of mental illness.

Living without a home can increase fear, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and can lead to substance abuse as a coping mechanism. Having a secure home allows people with mental illness to focus on recovery and treatment.  According to the National Mental Health Commission housing, homelessness and mental health are all connected.

At Risk of Homelessness or Experiencing Homelessness?

For referrals to Mission Australia’s accommodation services, contact your relevant state-based information and referral services directly on:

ACT - OneLink: contact 1800 176 468

NSW - Link2home: contact 1800 152 152

NT - ShelterMe: contact www.shelterme.org.au 

QLD - Homeless Hotline: contact 1800 474 753 

SA - Homeless Connect SA: contact 1800 003 308

TAS - Housing Connect: contact 1800 800 588

VIC - Crisis Accomodation Service: contact 1800 825 955

WA - Crisis Care: contact 1800 199 088

For further information about homelessness in Australia or if you want to know how you can get involved please go to Homelessness Australia’s websitehttps://homelessnessaustralia.org.au/homelessness-week-1-7-august-2022/

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HOMELESSNESS WEEK AUSTRALIA: 1–7 AUGUST

What a powerful quote to kick it off!

Definitely @Bow !

Great post @FloatingFeather ♥️♥️♥️

@FloatingFeather wrote:

What can cause homelessness?

Homelessness can be caused by family violence, physical health issues (e.g. accident at work and bills pill up), loss of employment, under-employment or inability to gain a new job, limited housing / rental stress, drug and alcohol addiction, traumatic experiences, and mental health issues.

I would be inclined to add:

"...lack of helpful contacts (i.e. friends, family, coworkers, ect.) to invite or assign people to their new households; and a lack of professional services to fill this role for the friendless."

Today 13 August 2023 is the last day of 2023 Homelessness Week Australia.

I am a 60 year old woman who has a Degree, worked for members of parliament, and I am homeless.

13 years ago I did not know about Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Red Flags 🚩 were what I waved at Union rallies. No one knew what Coercive Control was and it was not recognised as Domestic Abuse or included in Domestic Violence legislation.

I relying on the generosity of friends and family for a roof over my head and somewhere to store my belongings.

Members of the forum experiencing homelessness, we have nothing to be ashamed of.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance