Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // The first few weeks in a new job // CLOSED

Hi everyone!

The topic for Career Chat this Friday is about the first few weeks in a new job.

It is often daunting or at least slightly nerve wrecking to walk into a new job, with new responsibilities, new people, and a new environment.  Having said that, there are lots of strategies you can adopt to help you to get through the first few weeks of your new job.

Join @Debstar from Ostara Australia between 10am - 4pm AEDT this Friday to contribute your experiences of the first few weeks of a new job and learn new strategies.

Nik

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Career Chat // Friday 5 Feb 10am AEDT // The first few weeks in a new job

Good morning and hello everyone. Debstar here :).  Great to be connecting with you today.

Very much looking forward to our topic – about the first few weeks in a new job. As @NikNikmentioned, it is often daunting or at least slightly nerve wracking to walk into a new job. Lots to learn, people to meet, new hours.

For me after my couple of years with Chronic Fatigue, the shift back into work was a really big change, and I will be honest and say it was challenging. Having said that, there was lots I did to make the transition into work easier for myself.

Today I will be sharing strategies I used (that worked for me) and other ideas, and am keen to hear what you have done, or think you may do in your first few weeks of work.

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

Hi again,

In a previous forum I mentioned that I was nervous about going back to work, and after  two years at home with Chronic Fatigue (CFS), I knew that if I was to return to work, I needed to pace myself.  I intentionally found a job  where I had more energy than what the job required of me.  I had been in the corporate world previously, and knew that I wasn’t quite ready for that pace, so wanted a place where I could  be productive but not feel too much pressure.   What that meant for me was working three days, Monday, Wednesday and Friday (yes the stars aligned and this opportunity came up), so I had a day in between to rest when I needed it. If  I needed to couch it on the Tuesday and Thursday, I could.  I also made no plans for the evenings after work so I could  restore my energy and look after myself. 

Most clients I work with purposely don’t schedule anything outside of work hours  for their first few weeks of work, so they can put as much energy as possible into their work. Of course those that have other responsibilities (kids, parents to look after  etc) do what they need to do, but try to take a bit of time to rest when they can (sometimes getting people to help with the kids, parents, cooking meals in advance etc).   Those first few weeks can take it out of you, so anything you can do to rest and restore  is worth it.

If you are not used to waking up and being somewhere at a certain time, it can be a big shift to wake up at a regular time and get to work. Trust me, I get it, I am not a morning person and when I had CFS I was going to bed around 1 or 2am and waking up at  12 or 1pm, so taking a job with a 10am start was a stretch.  But by not planning anything in the evenings, and going to bed early (even thought it  was hard to get to sleep initially), it helped me to get into a pattern and after a few weeks getting up in the morning got increasingly easier.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Good morning, @Debstar,

I'm here today because I am starting a volunteer position next week. I'm both excited and nervous, even though I will be doing just half a day a week. I haven't been in any kind of structured employment since 2008 due to bipolar and crohns disease. As I said last week, my history in paid employment has involved manic beginnings followed not too long afterwards by huge mental health crashes in almost every job I've had. These are the reasons this very casual volunteer position has a lot riding on it for me.

So far what I've done to prepare is:

• buy shoes I will need (I have been living in thongs and sandals and the job requires covered shoes)
  • buy clothes I will need (how I've been in recent years means most of my clothing is not suitable)
  • read the policies of the organisation
  • had initial contact with the manager and one other volunteer
  • reminded myself to try to keep calm and try to go at a steady pace, not too fast
  • reminded myself not to talk too much if I get socially nervous (very likely since I have spent most of the past seven years in a very withdrawn state).

Do you have any other suggestions on how to prepare for my first day and weeks?

Good afternoon @Mazarita

So happy for you re your volunteer position starting  next week. Doesn’t surprise me at all that  you are feeling a combination of excitement and nerves.  I remember feeling the same way when I got back into work after my time out, and in fact, every time I have started a new job.  Whether your new work is for a few hours a week or full time, whether it’s volunteer or paid work,  it’s is totally normal to feel these feelings.  I think you are very smart and setting  yourself up for success by starting with this  casual  position.

Great to hear what you have done to prepare for the role. Good you have your clothing sorted,  and have met with a few people and done some online preparation.  I read your words, “there is a lot riding on this for you”.  I can really hear that you want to do a good job, and make it work, and credit to you for this.   Be mindful of not putting too much pressure on yourself on day one and ongoing. 

I have noticed that one of the hardest things about starting a new job can be the pressures and expectations we put on ourselves to figure it all out straight away, and it can take some time.

Be gentle and kind to yourself, you will get there (and that goes for others too). It’s ok to take a bit of time to learn  the ropes and it’s also ok to make mistakes (obviously we all try not to, but when learning new things, that can be part of the process too). And if you are a bit quiet, or a bit talkative, that is ok too. As you get more comfortable with your job  and new environments, you will most likely begin to relax more.

Something else I recommend is to carry around a notepad and write down acronyms or things you need to know as they are explained to you.  Or even to jot down people’s names. I tend to forget them on day one as there is lots of other stuff to focus on. And then take your notes home and look them over when you are outside the environment, and have time to take it all in.

Best of luck in your role next week.

Who else would like to share ideas/ suggestions? 

Thanks for your helpful thoughts and suggestions, @Debstar, and your encouragement.

My pleasure @Mazarita, glad you found this to be useful :).

A few more ideas: 

• Eat well and exercise (if you can and it is not going to exhaust you too much). It is amazing how much better you can feel after a bit of fresh air and time outside.
  • Organise your life as much as possible (especially the day/ night before) so mornings are less chaotic
  • Turn to others for help during this transition phase
  • Ask for support and supervision at your workplace (if your work don't suggest it). From experience, they appreciate you asking and it demonstrates your desire to do things properly.
  • And one of my personal favourites, practice self care.  Take time to look after you!  After work (and when you have time), that could mean having a bath, a rest, watching a favourite movie, meditating, relaxing with some good music,  whatever it is for you to help you unwind and relax.

Any other suggestions? 

This has been so helpful!

I'm terrible with names - so combining that with first week nerves and brain overload, I know that I have to write down people's names as soon as I'm next in front of my note pad.. along with their job title, so I don't forget.

Always awkward when you forget someone's name that you just met at lunchtime!

Writing down names is the only way I have managed.  still muddle them up at times ... getting less panicked when it happens and just getting on with the job at hand.

Thanks @Appleblossom and @coffeegirl for your contributions. Agree, writing down names and job titles is a great tip, especially in the first few weeks when going through information overload and nerves.

One more tip is to praise yourself for your small (and some not so small) milestones. For example, quietly patting yourself on the back and saying "go me, I made it to work on time", "I am getting better at this every day" "great, I remembered her name"..etc..  Acknowledging these milestones helps to build our confidence and self esteem. And over time looking back, it can be rewarding to see how far you have come.

Hope this has been a useful chat, and that you have at least one idea you can apply when you move into a new job.

Look forward to chatting again next week. Our topic is how to stand out with a potential employer.

Have a lovely weekend and look forward to being in touch then 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance