Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // CLOSED

Hi everyone,

This week's Career Chat topic is about standing out to a potential employer.

There is lots of competition out there in the job market. There are also lots of ways you can differentiate yourself so you stand out in a positive way with potential employers.  

Join our weekly discussion with @Debstar from Ostara Australia this Friday from 10am AEDT and learn ways to stand out.

Nik

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Career Chat // Friday 12 Feb 10am AEDT // How to stand out to a potential employer

Thanks @NikNik

Welcome everyone (on this lovely sunny day.. well that is the case in Melbourne). 

As Niknik mentioned, our topic today is how to stand out to a potential employer, in a positive way.

Come join us and share your thoughts, ideas and experiences as we discuss this interesting topic. 

Debstar 🙂

Re: Career Chat // Friday 12 Feb 10am AEDT // How to stand out to a potential employer

Hi All,

So what can you do to stand out in a positive way?

Write a targeted cover letter that introduces you and your key qualifications, and highlights why you are a fit for the role you are applying for.  This can be time consuming to create each time so perhaps draft two or three cover letters for the different types of roles you are applying for, and adapt the appropriate one as needed.  Looks much better than sending off a cover letter that sounds generic and as though it is not tailored.  And it could impress the potential employer 🙂

What else can you do or have you done?

Hi everyone,

I worked as a recruitment consultant for a year, and also have hired people for a range of roles whilst in different organisations.  One thing that really impresses me is when there is no key contact listed, but the applicant calls and finds out my name or another key contact, and addresses the cover letter to them.  This to me shows they have initiative (big tick), and are keen on the role.

Also, calling the employer to express interest in the role and possibly ask a question or two, before applying for the job.  Whenever someone calls me about a job I am advertising, I jot down the name of the person and how they sounded on the phone (I like to hear an upbeat enthusiastic voice so do what you need to so that comes across, eg dressing the part can help), and then look for their application in the pile of applications that come through.  Definitely a great way to stand out.

For some fun, here are a few different ideas of how to stand out, some outside the box.  You may like some and others, not so much (perhaps at least one is cringeworthy). 

At the time of sending in the application:

• An applicant walked in with coffee and donuts, and her resume underneath
  • Someone outlined his plan of what he wanted to do in the first six months of the role
  • One job seeker sent a handmade get well card when she heard the hiring manager was under the weather (too much perhaps?  I think so)
  • A few sent in fancy CDs that contained a video message explaining why they should get the job

And at the interview:

• A job seeker brought in a performance review from a previous job.
  • One woman showed up with a suitcase full of binders containing letters of reference, certificates of achievements and other accolades.
  • A candidate gave the interviewer a thank you note straight after the interview (or this can be emailed)

(FYI, This was taken from a survey of more than 650 HR Managers in the US and UK).   

What do you think of these ideas?  Creative? Other ideas to share?

HI @Debstar

I'm always up for a donut 🙂

I have a quick question - how do you get a balance of showing your interested, but not getting annoying.

I see some suggestions here of sending a thank you email, calling during the application process to get more information, sending a get well card to the recruiter (a bit OTT I agree).

But where is that line from looking interested to being perceived as a pest?

Hi @NikNik

Me too. Love a donut or anything sweet really 🙂

Great thought provoking question, how do you show you are interested but not get annoying?   I think a useful approach is to put yourself in the shoes of the recruiter, and then ask the question, how much is too much?  Or alternatively, imagine there is someone you like as a potential boyfriend/girlfriend, how often would  too often be to call if they haven’t called you? Would you call  or sms every day?  (hmm maybe we should avoid the dating analogy, it could perhaps get us into all sorts of weird and wonderful discussions.  You get the idea hehe).

Back to a job focus 🙂. How would you feel if a potential applicant called and emailed you every day to show interest in a role? Would that impress you or feel like too much?  I know for me, one phone call from the applicant at the time the job was advertised (introducing themselves and expressing their interest in the role) would impress me and give them a few brownie points.  And I also appreciate a thank you email after an interview, but that is just me. 

Everyone interviewing is different but I think I couple of planned intervention points works well. You really want to show interest, stand out, but not have them think that it is too much, or have them wanting to avoid you because of the over contact.  And doing a couple of things is more than most people do, so a great way to stand out in a good way. 

If unsure it may be worth talking to someone you know who has interviewed before, and ask them for their thoughts. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance