Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

tomatosauce
Contributor

:(

Feels like someone has inserted a bunch of weights in my head today. I was feeling positive before this too, having last week resigned from a job that was negatively impacting my mental health. My plan was to take some time off and focus on doing things I enjoy, establish a healthy routine, continue working with my psych etc. I thought I would be able to receive Centrelink payments to assist during this period but have found out that due to my circumstances I won't be eligible for payments for some time. I am fortunate to have savings and I will be able to survive. But I was hoping I may be able to receive some assistance and not have to rely completely on savings while I take time to work on my health. I am quite down right now.

6 REPLIES 6
Snowie
Community Guide

Re: :(

Hi @tomatosauce 

It is nice to meet you.

Sorry to hear about what you are going through at the moment, but well done for putting your mental health first.

I hope you are having a good day.

In schooly school I've been learning a bit moe about the strength based approach.

One of the latter principles is working, not just with your own strengths, but optimizing the strengths of the environment. Trying to see the world around you, less as an obstacle, and as much as possible, as an "oasis of opportunities".

I think it's an important principle to remember. One of those recovery skills that's basically a life-skill.

I guess life is always some sort of recovery process.

The art of environmental optimization is a big part of not doing it alone.

I should be listening more to my own advice.

Hi @tomatosauce 

I just wanted to reach out to offer you some support Heart

I’m so sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you at this time and my heart goes out to you Heart

In my experience, it can take an enormous amount of courage to prioritize our mental health and wellbeing and I think that you made an incredibly brave decision Heart

There have been several times throughout my career where I’ve also made the decision to resign my position in an attempt to protect my mental health and wellbeing Heart

However, although I initially felt a sense of peace, optimism and confidence in relation to the decision that I had made, these feelings were soon replaced with feelings of anxiety, fear and disillusionment, as I realised that I had misunderstood the criteria in relation to exclusion periods. As such, the length of time that I needed to wait before I was eligible to apply for income support through Centrelink was longer than I had expected and as a result, I began to worry and fret about my financial wellbeing and future.

It was during these times, that I felt that my decision to resign and prioritize my mental health and wellbeing had backfired, as I had essentially replaced one source of anguish and distress with another! As such, I experienced significant periods of time where I felt incredibly low and despondent.

Although it was by no means a permanent solution, one of the things that provided me with a small amount of comfort and relief, was the opportunity to apply for a low income health care card through Centrelink.

Whilst it’s not an income per se, the low income health care card may help to reduce some of the costs associated with everyday living. For example, people can receive cheaper medications under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, attend bulk billed appointments with their GP (at the discretion of their GP) and receive a larger refund for medical costs once they reach the Medicare safety net.

In my experience you can receive a low income health care card even if you’re not currently eligible to receive an income support payment through Centrelink. As such, I just wondered if this may be something that’s of interest to you Heart

I’ve included the link to Centrelink’s website just in case this is something that you would like to explore further:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/low-income-health-care-card

In addition to the above, you may also be eligible to receive some support through your state or territory government such as a reduction in the fees associated with your electricity and gas bills, motor vehicle registration and accessing public transport Heart

I wasn’t too sure what state your living in and so the resource that I’ve shared with you includes all of the Australian states Smiley Happy

I’ve included the link below, just in case you would like to explore this further:

https://info.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/benefits-and-payments/government-concessions-...

I hope that this helps you a little bit Heart

Please know that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to Heart

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Thank you for taking the time to write that message. It is appreciated.

Hi @tomatosauce 

It’s so lovely to hear from you Heart

You’re very welcome - it was my pleasure Heart

Please know that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to and I’ll always do my best to reach back to you as soon as possible Heart

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was relatively new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @tomatosauce  and that way, they’ll receive a message that you have contacted them Smiley Happy

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @tomatosauce I know how Centrelink sucks so much I've been putting up with Centrelink for bloody years, and years and years. I guess you just have to keep nagging at them until you get payments sorted out. As for your job resignation, I hope you do eventually find another job but for now it's good that you're prioritising your own mental well-being.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance