Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

WideWhale320
Senior Contributor

When should I seek help? And where?

I've had a lot happen over the last few weeks. I have become extremely depressed, to the point of feeling like I'm on a cliff's edge. My mood tends to rise and drop each day.

I've seen and heard a lot, where people who need urgent help should reach out. But I don't know how. I don't know who I should try and tell, or where I should go. Do I tell my partner, who doesn't really understand what I'm going through? Do I try and make an appointment to see my GP, who has erratic hours and days? Do I present to Emergency, even though it doesn't feel like a worthwhile emergency? Do I call an ambulance, and have them waste their time when someone else might need them more?

I really don't know what to do. I feel like an idiot because even though I'm a danger to myself, I don't feel like it constitutes an actual emergency. What else can I do?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: When should I seek help? And where?

Hi @WideWhale320,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much over the last few weeks. Smiley Sad I just wanted to let you know that I have sent you an email to check-in.

Please take care of yourself!

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

@WideWhale320

I found it very difficult to make a doctors appointment, but it really helped. It depends if you feel you can share with your doctor. If your usual doctor is too hard to get in to see and you dont feel that close, its alright to make an appointment with another. 

The emergency people are often not the best for ongoing support.

Eventually it was suggested that I set up a team for myself and I followed their advice.  I was very isolated when I first came on the forum.

Take Care

Hi @WideWhale320

It's a responsible thing to seek help esp if you feel you are a danger to yourself and the person to see is you own GP or someone else at the same clinic. As @Appleblossom says you don't get on-going help from the hospital and you need a referal to a professional person

If you feel as if you are not safe then ring an ambulance - if you are not sure try Life Line, 13 11 14 or another service - they are listed here someone and I am sure that @Amour_Et_Psyché will have included some in her email

Your doctor will have an idea about the psychologists in your area - you will get a referal for one - and you are entitled to 10 visits partly paid by Medicare. I you find one therapist isn't suitable you can try another

But reach out - you sound as if you really need the help and it's a sensible thing to do

There's a saying

"Why sit in the darkness when you can light a candle?"

All the best

Dec

Thanks everyone.

I reached a point where I presented to the local private hospital's emergency department, as they have a mental health unit, but I was told the unit was full and that it would cost $320 just to be seen, even though I have private health insurance. So I just went home and went to bed at 4pm and didn't get back out.

I don't feel comfortable enough opening up to another GP, and to see the one I am comfortable with, I have to ring up the second the clinic opens each day to find out if he is in, and if there are any appointments. I do have a fresh referral for the psychologist I saw last year, but I have to pay the full cost first and she then sends the bill to Medicare for me to get a rebate. I can no longer afford the sessions, and it is extremely hard for me to trust anyone with my mental health, so I can't bring myself to find another psychologist.

I just tried the Lifeline SMS service, but in order for it to connect with me with someone I had to respond to a bunch of automated texts first. I feel like I would be wasting people's time if I called Lifeline or another service, and when I'm this low I can't afford to spend 10 or 15 minutes responding to automated texts.

I refuse to present to a public hospital. I know they won't help me, and it's quite likely, considering the two closest public hospitals, that after sitting in Emergency for several hours, they will take one look at me and send me home, without even assessing me. And I don't think an ambulance is an option - in my eyes, it's not a life threatening emergency.

Thank you everyone for your support, but I honestly feel it's better if I face all of this alone.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance