Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: What's a healthier way to talk about self-destructive impulses?

I understand the need to avoid triggering people unnecessarily but I'm not sure that you can just erase methods from the conversation without losing meaning. Methods are integral to the point of it.

I think that is wht the health professionals are yet to learn.

Mods, I dont mean to be presumptuous, but SH is not a behaviour detached from the general psychology of the person. If it is occurring it is core in some way unique to their life narrative.

Hi there, for clarification, as noted, the conversation is very constructive, insightful and beneficial. We don’t want the context of any of the posts in this thread to change whatsoever, so I apologise if that’s how the supernova's message (which was written in consultation with me) was interpreted.

However, we are asking that people remove/edit/change the reference to the specific method of harm. One suggestion we made was to remove the method and replace it with ‘self harm’.

We understand the importance of this conversation, hence why we were trying to work with you all to edit your posts, rather than removing them.

We have a very good understanding of self harm and the connection it has in mental health, which is why we'd prefer to move this conversation back on track.
Thanks,
Nik

Thank you @NikNik I do appreciate the ideas and values behind this forum.

It just seems that a lot of counsellors out there dont really seem to know how to deal with SH. In my experience and in the experience of some of the posters, not just on this thread.

Thanks everyone for your interest in this thread. I am staying with a friend for a few days and am posting from my shoe phone, so I will have to have a think about how I can rework some of my previous posts in this thread. I had hoped that by putting it in this section that that would signal the heaviness of the topic.
It can be hard to admit to self harm. It undermines our credibility elsewhere in life. There can be ramifications to disclosing, too. Like if you don't get specific enough, and whoever freaks out. When I was seeing my ex psych, I found the urges overwhelming because he was convinced that bashing me over the head with his religion would save me. It felt like I was drowning. Everything i said that he didnt like was evidence of madness to him. How was I supposed to tell him that he was making me worse?
@MoonGal , which episode of Xena was that? I once read a comic where a girl faced a tiger in the same way. I still like to picture me turning a tiger into a kitten by calming myself. The litany against fear helps, too.

@CannonSalt - Re the Xena episode Q. I have done a bit of reasearch and I wonder if I have not mis remembered the episode, mixed it up a bit with the Ged-on-Ice scene from Wizard of Earthsea - because the only reference i can find is this one in a page where a Xena fan has aggregated the "Dark Xena/Good Xena' scene's the one called DREAMWORKER (03/103) appears to match most of my recall about what I saw - but has a different ending... She doesn't embrace the dark-self - "Xena grabbed Dark Xena and threw her through the door, escaping from her dreamscape passage". I still remember crying for days after seeing this, I think it brought up the battle for me, with the darkness inside me.

I like the turning a tiger into a kitten as a mind practice. Great visual.

I have just bought the Complete set of Xena Princess Warrior on DVD (as a reward for getting up and exercising regularly). Maybe I will find the scene I referred to somewhere after season 3 in the 5925 minutes of immersion into Xena and Gabrielle's world. 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance