Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Matt12
Senior Contributor

Vulnerability

Hi all

My journey is long and never-ending to a stable recovery "space" I now understand that schemas developed as a child and over time have become entrenched, which can not be changed. The go forward position for me is to create new thought patterns, not rewrite the tapes but create new ones to compensate for the schemes.

this process for me includes becoming vulnerable which as a man  I find difficult "men don't cry".  I understand Vulnerability is the key as if I block it out you block all feelings.

Why I am sensitive/compassionate/empathetic/caring/ I find it difficult to express, so I am enough and I will be seen as I wont to be a better "person"

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Vulnerability

@Matt12  Hi Matt12 you dont have to be a man to not be 'vulnerable'. I find it very hard to be vulerable and hide it under a veneer of toughness and lightheartedness. People often think the pea is hard sometimes even cold but I am not I just don't show  my weaknesses for protection. Being vulnerable is hard but not impossible just make sure you stay protected. Love greenpeax

Re: Vulnerability

Hey @Matt12, it can be hard to relearn empathy, sympathy and vulnerability, especially if one has been conditioned to block out all of these emotions previously. While you may not express it, having an understanding of what they are and what situations, where they are appropriate, might help you in your journey. Are you currently relearning all of this with your medical professional?

Think in real life, there's never going to be anyone with the "perfect" balance, we are all individual with different scales of empathy, sympathy and vulnerability. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance