Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SallyFlamingo
New Contributor

Tired of medication changes

I spend my life changing/increasing meds - find a balance for a while, then wham! here we go again. Find myself thinking that seeing as they aren't working, stopping might be better. Disordered thinking I know, but it doesn't stop the urges.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Tired of medication changes

It does take a while for meds to start working - does your psych tell you how long the adjustment period is?  Do you do any kind of mood tracking?  That might help if you're not sure where you are now vs. where you were three months ago.  It's common to become disillusioned with medications when it feels like they're doing squat - have you shared this with your psych?

Hi @SallyFlamingo,

Welcome to the forums, yes medications can be problematic, different medications work for different people, different side effects, etc.  I look at it this way it is like trying to make a cake without a recipie, you need to mix and match until you find the right recipie for you, it is tough to get their, but once you find one that works you will be all the better for it.

Have you spoken to your treating team about how it is affecting you, and ways/stratagies to cope with the side effects?

I hope things work out @SallyFlamingo

Take care

Jacques

@SallyFlamingo I have been taking medications for about 20 years and have gone through many changes over this time. But I do aim for some periods of stability with the meds if possible. If I feel like my meds are being changed too frequently I will sometimes make the decision to stay on the meds I am currently taking even if they are not working to give full relief. I've never found complete relief from meds anyway but I have found them helpful and don't do very well without them. I talk to my psychiatrist about these things and we work it out together. If you do decide to come off your meds, make sure you slowly taper off and preferably do it in consultation with your doctor. Wishing you well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance