Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Queenie
Community Elder

Tardive Dyskinesia from medications

Has anyone ever experienced tardive dyskinesia as a result of taking antipsychotic medication? I've been twitching like anything for the past week. My jaw is sore from constantly making chewing motions. I also keep moving my mouth and my left arm jerks about uncontrollably. 

I see my GP on Friday (earliest I could get in) so hopefully I'll get some answers. My GP is reluctant to change medications or lower the dose though (been down that road before). I believe I have to change medications but feel stuck when nobody seems to be listening to me.

Can TD be permanent?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Tardive Dyskinesia from medications

@Queenie  YES my left hand shakes at times. I have talked with my psychiatrist about it and she is happy that it stops when my hand is occupied like I am doing things but otherwise it shakes. One of the many things I hate about my meds but what can you do. 

@Queenie  yes my face would twitch and my legs a little. it can be permanent yes so you do have to be careful. can you see the psychiatrist as they may be better at dealing with the meds issue? you may have to swap meds it is difficult though. sorry you are experiencing this that is a common long term use issue. i have also read about one of my previous meds that even if you stop taking it you can still get TD as a result. that was the company med warning too. anyway very difficult issue. good luck.

Thanks for replying @Eden1919 and @greenpea . I did phone my psychiatrist office and the earliest I can see him is May 2. Hopefully my gp can ask him for advice.

Hi @Queenie 

I can relate to this. I experienced this from an antipsychotic med I was taking. It affected my right side of my body, especially my right leg.

It got so bad that my pdoc ended up taking me off the med and changing me to another one. It eventually went away but did take awhile to go.

I hope you can get some answers with your GP. I don't know if TD can be permanent or not.

I shuffle my feet side to side. Is that TD? I used to experience spasms initially mainly in my arm, legs and face but now just shuffle side to side every so often. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance