Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Self Funded Carers

@Zorro I am so Sorry it has taken forever for me to respond!

But YES!!! I am planning on putting the letter to every avenue i can access.

I have a draft letter alsmost complete and a few others like us willing to contribute and bring voice to our cause. 

I will get a copy of the draft up shortly so you can add in your story and use the same letter if you wish!

There are more people in our situation than even i had estimated... and its time to push ourselves into a spot where SOME form of financial support is appolicable to us or our loved ones! 

Tigz

xx

Hi Tigz

Send through whatever you have. I need all the help I can get.

Zorro

OMG I am glad to have found your post - DH is a rapid cycling BP + Social Anxiety Disorder and ADD.

I have a really good job and one that lets me work from home - I only occassionally need to go into the office (and it is really nice to have a break!). However it is a VERY full-time job and can be very stressful (and like others here I reckon we are all a resilient bunch and could easily survive in an apocolypse Smiley Very Happy so I reckon my gauge of stress is a lot different to my peers in the workplace).

We are entitled to the standard GP 6 subsidised Psych visits and that is pretty much it. I have top private health for us, we pay anywhere from $1000 upwards per month, for medical, psychs, medication, insurance etc. I can't see him getting another job - it is an effort just to get him out of the house. In my darkest moments of job stress and his wellness (he cycles every month - no joke) I proclaim that I am quitting my job and working in a fish and chip shop (apologies to fish and chip shop owners - there is no disrespect for you).

My concerns are that there is no support of self-funded peeps and families. In addition, there are no / to few carers supports for those who work.

My DH spent 6 weeks in a private psych hospital recently, he has outreach and access to courses and groups. This is all covered in our health cover (which is truly wonderful). However, there is nothing / no support for myself or our son - unless we get our own mental health plans and pay for it ourselves.

I don't want handouts or things to be free necessarily. I would like us to not be judged by my gross wage alone - look closer - look at what we pay to stay buoyant in this world - look at how sick he is. I went through bankruptcy with his  illness and trying to keep him well (as everything was in my name). We will never now have the opportunity to own a home and we are scrambling to save for retirement.

Interestingly we are looking for another rental property at the moment (we are always long-term tenants, and our homes have always been sold on us by the landlords). The price for a place is high - especially if we are on one income only - anything more reasonable are, in some cases derelict. Not to mention DH cannot deal with the stress of moving, the $5000 that you need to move (rent + bond + moving costs). God help me if I ever get sick.

So, @Tiggeroo - a long answer to your question...I am in - boots and all... 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance