Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MDT
Community Guide

Not good

Overwhelmed. Sick of it.

Dunno what to do.

33 REPLIES 33
MDT
Community Guide

Re: Not good

Too much on my plate
I'm overtired
I have horrible dreams of torture and pain and suffering
I am feeling incredibly frustrated and guilty and unfulfilled

I feel like panic is on its way

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

@MDT, sorry you’re having a day of it today. What’s something you can do for your body, right now?

hey @Gwynn thanks for checking in mate

I am gonna check out the forum chat tonight as the subject looks quite relevant to my life situation

for my body right now - i want to read some Frued. My psychiatrist gave me a book recommendation so i will see if i can find it. Might put on some music too - Disturbed would probably suit my mood now.
Dinner is on the stove.
Got a job interview tomorrow so just gotta do some last minute prep.
Don't wanna get ahead of myself but I really would like the job

and psych tomorrow morning too which i have prepared for by sending him some stuff
Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Sounds like you've been very busy, @MDT! Have some dinner and see how you feel after that. 🙂 A hot shower before bed can help me start to wind down.

agreed @Gwynn
yeah feel a bit better
just a lot to take in atm
i foresee a time where it will be okay
this too shall pass

thanks dude

hey @chibam
this was the book
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_Search_for_Meaning

"psychotherapeutic method, which involved identifying a purpose in life to feel positive about, and then immersively imagining that outcome. "

It is a fascinating history about a horrible period in human history. but Frankl went on to work in the psychology field.

I remember reading it a few years ago when i was quite young and it was a hard read but i think i got it. I should really return to it.

My psychiatrist put me on to something else lol

Portnoys Complaint

Thanks, @MDT 

@MDT wrote:
"psychotherapeutic method, which involved identifying a purpose in life to feel positive about, and then immersively imagining that outcome. "

Yeah, I do that like you wouldn't believe. My non-existant wife and I have lived a life and a half together.

The thing that troubles me about so many of these books, essays, statements, ect., is that they all seem to start from the default assumption that being alive is better then being dead, and then seem to work to develop a rationale that seemingly corroborates that predetermined conclusion, rather then truly impartially investigating whether or not survival is indeed worth the cost.

Judging by the wikipedia blurb you link to, it seems like the book as a religious bent: "What is more, he comes to believe that he has nothing left to fear any more, "except his God"", which skews the rationale even further, since it implies a duress imposed upon the author to deliver a certain conclusion. God is anti-suicide; ergo, anybody deliberating the validity of survival must come to the conclusion that survival is the right outcome, else they shall face God's horrendous wrath.

Which thoroughly undermines the argument, when it is scrutinized by atheists.

I've sort of moved past my willingness to play mind games. I'm not looking for strategies to talk myself into believing that life is worth prolonging, even if it really is not. I'm really only in the market now for real solutions.

Hope you’re feeling calmer @MDT  and that you sleep peacefully this evening. 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance