Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

FightLikeAGirl
Casual Contributor

My Bipolar Adult Daughter refuses to help herself

My daughter has recently turned 25 and is struggling to cope. She takes her medication and sees her Psychiatrist but refuses to do anything else. She recently made two suicide attempts within the space of a week. She finally agreed to be admitted to a private hospital for treatment but insisted on being released after two weeks. She's done CBT and DBT courses and claims that those methods don't help. I encourage her to research resources online to find something that does help but she claims nothing works. This crisis cycle has been going for over 2 years now and I'm exhausted. My mental health has suffered as I've prioritised hers. I'm trying to take a step back from being her Carer to be her Mother - and put her in charge of her recovery with the support of a care team (psychiatrist, psychologist, friends, Mother). I'm struggling with the boundaries. I've told her that her staying at home is contingent on her working on her mental health so now she's talking about moving out. I could really use some guidance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My Bipolar Adult Daughter refuses to help herself

Hi @FightLikeAGirl,

Welcome to the forums! It's very brave to come on here and share your story. I hope you find it a supportive space, I know there are a lot of people on here who can relate to what you are experiencing.

That sounds incredibly tough that your daughter has difficulty working on her mental health and after a few years of crisis you are understandably exhausted. It is really great you are thinking about boundaries as you have identified it is not sustainable to neglect your own needs for too long.

I hope you get some tips from other members, but here are some other discussions that may be interesting to you too, that you can of course jump in to and post in as well (except for the topic tuesday one, that is a 'closed' previously moderated discussion)

Carers hints and tips for success by @Shaz51

No time for self care? started by @CherryBomb

Helping a loved one who doesn't want help (the closed discussion)

Daughter with Bipolar it's hard started by @lindabar

I look forward to seeing you more around the forums 🙂

Tortoiseshell

Thank you so much for the welcome and the suggestions @Tortoiseshell  I'm very grateful. I've already found a post with stories really similar to mine. That's been comforting. 

@FightLikeAGirl

I have a 26 year old son with BiPolar.  He was very negative about therapy and the Mental heath system until I finally found someone whom he can get along with.  That has only been recent but it has made a huge difference.

I understand about boundaries and am trying to put some in place, whilst also respecting his vulnerabilities.

Your plan sounds a fair approach and you definitely deserve a life.I had to say that my son was not being oppositional for the hell of it and that the person who earned his respect, worked at it and had good skills.  He is an older social worker, was transparent, clear about his processes and could develop rapport and cared.

In 2 sessions he has been able to turn things around for us so I have hope.  Finally. I have been looking for someone for 13 years.

Take Care of YOU and your daughter. Dont give up.

Hi @FightLikeAGirl,

I just wanted to check-in and see how things are going for you. How has it been maintaining boundaries with your daughter?

Hoping that you are getting some time for self-care!

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance