Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lilyq
Senior Contributor

MI Terrified that an employer will find out

I applied for and was granted my dream job then I had to fill in a online document and answer a few questions including mental health history.

Well I didn't admit to having any mental health history and now I am worried that they will find out. 

I was on TV recently in a show talking about mental health issues and I am scared that the employer will see the show. 

Not sure if anyone can help and I don't regret going on the show but I just wanted to share my nervousness. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: MI Terrified that an employer will find out

Even if they see it, you have a right to not share information about your private life. If it will not be affecting your job performance, then they don't need to know about it. Criminal history is different. If they say anything about it, speak with confidence and just let them know, that you didn't consider it an issue. What's the bet that most of them have issues, the only difference is, they either live with it and compensate with alcohol, drugs or other issues, or they are seeing therapists themselves but hiding it. It's going to be okay. And if you don't get this one, you'll get your next fav job, either way, you're not going to be working in some pitiful job you hate earning crap money or on some pension. Be kind to yourself.

Re: MI Terrified that an employer will find out

Congratulations of being granted your dream job @Lilyq!!

I understand it is hard to sit with the uncertainty of not knowing whether they will find out. It's strange that they would ask about your mental health history if it wasn't pertinant to the job.

Best of luck with your work!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance