Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jaz5
Senior Contributor

Just need a chat

Hi all posted in here not too long ago saying how much I'm struggling. I'm panicking there is something seriously wrong with me getting short of breath it does pass after about 10mins but holy sh*t it's intense why does it feel like I'm going crazy,why does it feel like I'm going to die? 
I am  booked in tomorrow to speak with a councillor it can't come quick enough 

I feel talking really helps me a lot 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Just need a chat

Hi @Jaz5 .  Unless you have some medical issues, it kind of sounds like a panic attack.

I started getting them myself a while ago, my councillor showed me some grounding techniques to help calm me. He told me to put my palms together and push my feet into the floor, concentrating on the feeling of the pressure in my palms and feet.  Look at your imediate surroundings, take note of the furniture if you are at home, the colour or the walls - all of these

things will help to ground you.  Most importantly, slow deep breaths in, slow long breaths out.

Has something happened to trigger these horrible feelings?  Happy to chat if it helps ❤️❤️

@Razzle no medical issues.  All started for me 6 years ago when I got sick  with leginares disease after serval visits to the doctor. This is what started it for me now everytime I go to the doctor they run a test I don't believe them. I'm a care worker for disabled people. Ive got a young family 

like everyone else I think I'm a tad stressed and it's triggered my anxiety and panic due to all the symptoms I'm getting. I am due to have a chat to a councillor tomorrow I do find talking helps me heaps. 

I will try what you suggested it just feels like I'm dying and i wind myself more and am really on edge 

@Jaz5   I know how you feel, with regards to the panic attacks.  Mine started in public places.  I used to feel like my heart was going to explode out of my chest and I couldn’t get any air in.    Not a great feeling in the middle of a busy supermarket or shopping centre.

I have heard of leginares disease but have no experience of it.  You must have been horribly unwell, not everyone survives that disease.

You sound very busy with work and home at the moment.  I moved into my mothers house about 4 months ago, she has dementia and was in hospital and the Drs wouldn’t let her go home alone so I moved in and am her full time carer.

My children are adults now.  My husband and I seperated a couple of months ago, although, now we are seperated he is finally trying to save the marriage.  Long story, a lot of hurt, maybe save that for another day - let’s just say he has a lot of burnt bridges to repair before I go back to that marriage.

Do you have to travel far to see your councillor, or are they close handy to you?  Do you have to work tomorrow or have you got some time off ?

@Razzle my First one happened yesterday out of the blue my husband and I were waiting on dinner and I was in the car I got hot and felt like I couldn't breath for home had a bath and relaxed abit for the rest of the night. Then had another one just after I wrote this post I hate it I hate feeling scared.   

yes I was sick and felt like I was dying lucky I was healthy as they say people with low immune systems struggle to fight it. My doctor did tell me to google it because I didn't know what it was that's probably why I am the way I am today if he had just told me from the start. Anyway.    Sorry to hear about your mum and ex husband.  
no not a far visit for me thank godness I'm suppose to go to work tomorrow for 3 hours. I do feel when I'm busy I'm fine but the moment I stop these symptoms come on which causes the anxiety. I don't get time off until Xmas time so I'm counting down the weeks. I've been feeling this way for around 3 weeks now so since I've left it longer then usual it's going to take abit to work.  Plus really just need a break from work 

@Jaz5   I’m hearing you, I hate feeling scared too.  I’m glad you feel better when you are keeping busy, I try to distract myself a lot too.  Lately it’s just been put one foot in front of the other and just get through the day, try and sleep, wake up, repeat.  

Dementia is a cruel disease, but if I can make my mums life a little more comfortable and less confusing for her then I feel like I’m doing the right

thing.

What time is your appointment tomorrow?  Are you able to talk to your husband if you still feel bad later tonight?  

@Jaz5   Mums made a move for bed so I might head to bed myself, she tends to get up a couple of times during the night so I’ll grab some sleep while I can.

I hope you can get some restful sleep tonight, I’ll check in with you tomorrow ❤️❤️

Morning @Jaz5 , @Razzle 

I've struggled with breathing at times too over the last few months, and realised that they might be linked to anxiety.

Breathing, just breathing big deep slow deep breaths, and more recently I've been encouraged to do the grounding that razzle mentioned..I think the idea of that is to focus on something, anything at all. I like to think of it as like a bicycle wheel thats  out of gear just spinning and not getting anywhere, and then it grips back onto the chain and gets moving again..

@Tinsel i struggling with breathing I start doing it then my mind will start to wonder away so I'll bring myself back to my breathing it takes me abit to calm down. And I get more nervous I will have to learn how grounding work and practice it everyday 

@Jaz5 

In the words of my psych, if your mind wanders it's ok, just bring it back.....

Harder to do than say sometimes, 

💓

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance