Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sumsa
New Contributor

I miss mum

Hi,

This is my first post. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this and I'm not really sure what I'm wanting out of this...maybe a moment to vent, maybe to hear from people who understand my situation or perhaps some good advice...for now, I will vent and see where that takes me....

12 years ago my mum had her first episode. She called 000 speaking about her delusions. They realised after her repeated calls and hanging up that she was unwell, and sent police to check on her. They decided to take her to hospital where she was eventually assessed and involuntarily hospitalised. My siblings and I adjusted our work hours so that we could take turns to see her EVERYDAY during every single visiting period. We were unhappy with how she and other patients were being treated, so we wanted to make our presence known and ensure mum had an advocate at all times...She was there for 3 months. When she was released, they had her on meds that worked and our family was so happy to have her home. But I knew she herself didn't believe she was unwell. And sure enough, she came off her meds and for 6 years she went untreated...refused her meds, refused to seek medical help including from a GP. So my siblings and I tried seeking help/advice...we visited GPs and psychologists, psychiatrists, we read articles and watched videos online on how to help her, we even tried searching for natural/herbal teas that would help her...even if just to calm her mind down enough to sleep. There was nothing we could do.

Then 1 evening her delusions and hallucinations had escalated so much that she was in distress and there was nothing we could do to calm her down. So my sister called 000 for assistance, an ambulance turned up with police...she was involuntarily hospitalised again. She was in hospital for almost 3 months again, our experience with staff and how they were around patients was exactly the same..terrible...eventually she was back on meds and released (that was 6 years ago). For about a year she was consistently taking her meds but eventually she came off them and would take them intermittently...she still believed that she had no illness. She wasn't seeing a psychiatrist but would still see a GP for regular health check ups, incl. picking up prescriptions for anti-psychotic meds. That was our only saving grace...that we could still get prescription and the meds would still work when taken.

But during the pandemic my mums GP had left the clinic and my sister had chosen another GP for her...finding a GP that is comfortable and knowledgeable in managing patients who happen to have a mental health issue is so hard, never knew this until my mum had her 1st episode....the new GP was OK...she would not have been my first choice but my mum was still agreeing to see her. But about 7 months ago, the GP was preparing her patients files as she was taking maternity leave...she had gone through my mums file and cancelled her anti-psychotic meds without consulting us. We found this out while taking mum in for a routine blood test with her interim GP, who told us about the cancelled meds. The GP said no reason was given, only a note to say the prescription was cancelled and mum needed to see a psychiatrist again to renew her prescription which can then be passed onto the GP for future prescriptions. Mum was in the room for this....she took this to mean she nolonger needed the meds. We spoke with the manager of the medical clinic and explained our circumstance, she too had no answer and said the best they can do is to have her come in to see a GP who can give a referral for a psychiatrist...in frustration i told her they seriously needed mental health aid training (all of them) to fully understand what they had just done...I was angry....so livid. ..but that very quickly turned to absolute despair because I knew what this meant....

In 7 months, mum's deteriorated. She won't shower. She stays up late at night and in the morning with her delusions, talking to the voices in her head. She intermittently sleeps during the day. If I capture her attention long enough, she can momentarily switch off and talk to me normal...but unfortunately her delusions overtake and she's back to talking to the voices.

Mum is 70, she's from an ethnic backgroud where mental health is not really openly spoken about and if it is, usually it's talks about how "sad" that so and so is unwell. Both mum and dads extended family live overseas, so we have no support from them and to be frank...they probably wouldn't be able to help let alone want to help. Mum truly believes she is fine and does not need any help from anyone or anything. She won't listen to anyone.

Sadly and realistically, there is nothing we can do for her now. The best I can do is try to look after myself so that I can be there for both my mum and dad. I live at home with them to help...but sometimes I wish I could just leave. But then I think to myself, she is my mum and if her own children cannot help her, who will...ultimately I don't want to abandon my parents...so here I am venting (and admittedly crying a little to myself).

I know there are others out there just like me...and whilst it's sad that others are going through the same thing, it's a comfort to know they are our there.

Have a good night or should I say a good morning!

1 REPLY 1
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Re: I miss mum

Hey @Sumsa welcome to the forums! I'm glad you found us, sounds like you really needed to get that off your chest. I hope you feel a little lighter after having done so. 

I'm sorry to hear that things have been so complex and intense with your mum. It really is so hard when someone doesn't believe that they're unwell. 

Do you have much by way of support? Either from friend/family, or from mental health professionals? Having to navigate a situation like this is not something anyone should have to do alone. If you want to chat to someone about it all, you can always give our lovely team of counsellors a buzz on 1800 187 263 (Mon-Fri, 10am-8pm). You could also explore support options provided through organisations like Carers Australia

I hope you find what you're looking for here on the forums, and please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance