Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

J1979
Casual Contributor

I feel empty

I'm on 150mg of antidepressants waiting almost 3 months to see psychiatrist mother of our daughter is what I would call having affair with a customer of hers. I can't focus with rolling thoughts and worries in my head. I feel empty. All I have left is my daughter. My partner barely talks to me at home. If she does she is barking orders or yelling at me for doing something wrong. I'm all out of options of what to do anymore 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: I feel empty

hi @J1979 and welcome
it sounds like things are really tough for you. im not that good with relationships myself so don't have much advice to offer but it does sounds really tough

perhaps @Owlunar @Appleblossom @eth @frog @Teej @greenpea could offer some advice for you

Please have a look around and join in where you like as well. A forum tip is to put an @ before a members name and itll tag them for you so they receive a notification. hope to see you around!

@J1979 

Sounds like your marriage is not in a good place, so self protection becomes important.  Losing the dream of a happy family life is difficult, but you can get through it, and the biggest reasn to survive is your daughter.  I always wished I had more time with my father who passed when I was 11.  

Sometimes the forum is a little slow to respond.

Take Care 

Smiley Happy

Hello @J1979 

I'm sorry to hear about things at home for you. It seems really hard.

When my ex left out of the blue I also felt empty, as well as shocked, scared and a whole raft of other negative emotions.

It took me a long time to work out how to do the self preservation/self care things that eventually made life bearable and over time, better.

Are there any things that allow you to get absorbed or switch off for a bit?

Did you get to see the psychiatrist, or are you still waiting?

Sometimes having a good person to talk to and bounce ideas off can help. I am really lucky to have a psychologist who helps me on that front. It's possible to get some Medicare funded sessions, but you need a GP's referral. Take care.

@frog thanks. I used to be able to wind down and escape playing console games and watching tv but my partner doesn’t allow me to do this anymore while our daughter is awake. She doesn’t allow her to watch/see tv. Which means I can’t even see the news let alone entertainment. By the time I can I’m half asleep. Most days I just don’t want to come home

Hi @J1979 

just catching up on posts, sorry for the delay. Welcome to the forum 👋🏻🙂

Im wondering if you could suggest relationship counseling to your partner. It might be helpful to get this in the open in a safe space. It’s not necessarily going to change things but you might be able to understand the relationship better and hopefully have more known things. Ruminating on stuff like this is really hard when there are so many unknowns. I went through something similar (but different) when I had very young kids. 

I hope things are a little better now. I agree with @frog that it would be a great idea for you too to be able to talk this out for you with a therapist. 

Best wishes for a really tough situation.

Hey @J1979 

I feel for you.

I know very little about your situation, but it sounds like you don't have much freedom/room to move at home. Do you have anything outside home and work? Anything that could give you a little free time where it's you who is in control?

When I was really under the pump relationship wise, my psychologist used to set me homework like go to a movie, go for a walk, have a milkshake with the kids. Initially I thought this was all just trivia, irrelevant. But it did help create a bit of breathing space.

Take care

Your absolute right @frog . I have no escape. I’m not allowed to watched tv my partner doesn’t want my 3 yr old daughter to have any screen time. Not even for me to watch news. I can’t play games on a console again screen. I love my daughter but I don’t and can’t be a helicopter for her. I sleep on a lounge cause our daughter sleeps in what was our bed even if I put her to bed in her own bed. Now because they both just got home I won’t get to sleep till almost midnight to be up at 5am. This is every day
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance