Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lilyq
Senior Contributor

First day sober in 15 days..

So I have been drinking a lot lately. A real lot. I have decided to drastically reduce my drinking only problem is I really feel like a drink. I miss the feeling of being intoxicated with wine or cocktails. I have schizoeffective disorder and the Alcohol seems to take the edge off and make me feel better only problem is I know in the long run its not doing me any good. 

I also need more and more alcohol to take the edge off, then I feel bad the next day so I have a drink to feel better, the cycle starts again. I don't want to die of an alcohol related disease only problem is I hate being sober. Help me please..

21 REPLIES 21

Re: First day sober in 15 days..

piece of fruit ... ??piece of fruit ... ??

Not sure what to say but after a while the negative effects certainly are worse that the light and bubbly stage of early intoxication.  I guess you ahve to keep telling yourself that and find other things to distract.

I was at a party last night and only drank water. Great to say I was not the only one.  A few other ladies were refusing the champagne and we talked about responsible driving.  I had an illness early in life which meant I could not start drinking.

Take Care

@Lilyq Hi Lilyq yes it has been about 4 years almost since I have stopped drinking and I have to say that I still miss it ... but feel better without it go figure. It is the initial smoothness down the throat and the soothing of the mind that I miss but I cannot stop at one I have two or three by which point that is way too much and I feel like crap. So best not to have anything.

Stick with it. You will be better off without it I can assure you. Love greenpea xxxx

Thanks for your support @Appleblossom @greenpea it's hard but I hope to do it. My plan is to only drink once a month and not to excess, I hope I can manage it. 

@Lilyq You have our absolute support. You can do this Lilyq 🙂 xxxx

Great plan @Lilyq

If you read other posts you will see that I am not always a goody 2 shoes.

Being hung over is awful. Keep remembering that.

A spluge a month is fair. 

Take Care

I am lucky to have 2 sober days a week atm @Lilyq I am not ok with that . I didn’t drink yesterday. Going to try for a few days in a row later in week. Not trying to rationalise it and cant afford it either but guess its only time I feel ok these days. It kills days, makes excuses, self justifies etc but still keep going back. One Day. Hope your plan works.

You are drinking because you are unable to deal with life on its own terms and you see drinking as a solution rather than a problem for your issues.

If this has been a constant issue in your life then you should consider educating yourself on alcohol addiction and see whether or not a support group or a discussion with your therapist is a good option.

I must tell you that I have been in your situation before with other substances and was using them to mask my mental illness. I haven't touched a drink or a drug in six months and it is possible to abstain from it. It is utter insanity at this point in time to say 'I'll just drink once in a week or so' 

You are planning and obsessing over alcohol which is unhealthy. Please speak to someone and abstain from Alcohol for the time being, it is not a solution to your problems it will only make thigns worse as you have acknowledged.

Thanks @TAB  for understanding the situation I hope you can manage more than a few days sober.

Thanks @Former-Member for the support, I do feel like I can beat this alcohol addiction as I go for my 2nd day sober, I don't feel the need to abstain completely although you may disagree.

I don’t disagree just depends how strong you can be . Anyway every day you dont drink at all ie in a row you feel differently. 15days a hard slog. Prob done it a few times this year. @Nay69 ? @utopia
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance