Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kel7
Casual Contributor

Feeling stuck..

Hi everyone <br>I am really stuck at the moment. Struggling big time and my psychologist is currently away oversees and my psychiatrist is sick in hospital and out of work for a while.. <br>I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression a few years ago and have my ups and downs as we all do. <br>I currently attend day programs at a mental health hospital and work a couple of hours a week as a disability support worker - this is where I'm struggling the most at the moment. I have been here over a year now and still feel very new.. Like every shift is my first time almost. Today I was ready to quit. I have taken a few days off to work out what to do but it is just so difficult. Thankfully I have financial support from the DSP from Centrelink so that eliminates financial worries. <br>I am just feeling so worthless and hopeless and am so sick of crying all the time. I have been able to get into my gp on Thursday so I can talk to her about this but I am afraid she will suggest being an impatient for a while to get things on track again. She has suggested it before but that's when I started the day programs instead. I'm thinking this will be the next option.. <br>I have never spent time as an inpatient at the mental health hospital I attend, only a few nights at the regular hospital after a bad decision I made. Is anyone able to give me some insight? I have been told I can go in for respite which does sound exactly what I might need, but I'm scared. <br>I'm scared of what my family and partner will think. They are all very supportive but I feel weak I guess. <br>Please help.. 😞
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Feeling stuck..

hello @Kel7

im sorry to hear your struggling atm. 

With your work, it does sound pretty tough for you. do you think it would be worth maybe trying something new or a new role within your work to see if it suits you better than being hands on with the patients? do you enjoy your work at all?

i am really glad your speaking to your gp on thursday to get some extra support while your other supports are out of action. is it posisble to see another psych within the practice while yours is over seas? 

i have been an inpatient on  mental health ward and it isnt as scary as it may seem. my first experience was both scary and good. it was scary the first day or so but they have round the clock nurses to talk to, give you your meds, monitor you in general (even when your sleeping so your safe or always welcome to talk to them) they also bring in psychologists and psychiatrists as well so you can speak to them. the one i attended was a short stay unit so didnt have programs but others (by the sounds of it yours) has some programs to offer whilst your an inpatient. 

hope this helps..

Hello @Kel7

Thanks for sharing on the forums, it does sound like you have a lot going on at the moment with your mental health symptoms and feeling a bit stuck in what to do as either of your options are not ideal for the short term, but I guess you do have to think about what is the most helpful option in the long term.

As far as your support is going, it does seem like you are lacking your usual supports which would be impacting on your mental health. So getting some respite might be an option to try for some much needed extra support and to work on looking after yourself. I am glad you are seeing your gp to discuss that option more.

Try not be to scared like @outlander said as because it will be voluntary, it is a completely different experience and more tailored to your support rather than just keeping you safe like in acute stays. It will be good for you to get your routine back on track too.

Take care of yourself and keep reaching out on the forums,

Lunar

@Kel7 - my experience is going to a private psychiatric hospital. As a general rule, there is quite a difference between private and public psych hospitals. As you've mentioned respite - I assume you are talking about a private hospital.
They are nothing like the movies depict. They are generally very comfortable and look just like any 'normal' private hospital.
I found the staff - especially the nurses to be very helpful and knowledgeable and calming.
The times I have gone into hospital is when I'msstruggling with suicidal thoughts. I feel safe in hospital. And once those thoughts go, I get a real break. A chance to reset my sleep routine and eating habits.
There are programs you can attend and I've found many of these really helpful.
But you know what I've found to be the best thing about my hospital stays - the other patients. They are not scary. They are just like me (or you) & most are willing to show you around, befriend you. Hearing their stories and what has or hasn't helped them is also useful.
At a private hospital you will go in as a Voluntary patient. This means that you can leave at any time.
Why not give it a go and see if it gives you a chance to recover and reenergise yourself.

Hi @Kel17
My experience in a private mental health unit was exactly how @utopia explained it. I was scared on my very first time but it didn't take long for the staff to ease my mind and I felt safe. I was in hospital in march this year fir respite - best thing ever. I needed a break from life snd I got it in there.
Pls take care and don't be scared. Xx
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance