Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mumtryingtohelp
Casual Contributor

Feeling helpless - what to do?

Hi 

This is my first post so thanks for anyone replyingSmiley Happy  My 25 year old has been battling with depression / anxiety for a few years and has been recommended to see a psychiatrist some 12 months ago.   He has been on a waiting list for 6 months and has been deterioting lately; not attending work , not communicating staying up late ect.  I want to push the request through but not sure how to do that. Can I find another professional who can take on his mental health plan.  He has also been seeing different GPs and is not quite sure of the medications to make it more complicated.  In short - I feel so helpless to assist him.  Feeling pretty helpless when I ask him how to help and he just says he has to wait and I can see him getting worse and worse.  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Feeling helpless - what to do?

Hi@mumtryingtohelp 

I feel for you as it's so heartbreakng to not feel we can help our children. I think that if your son went back to the GP who wrote up his Mental Health Plan, he/she could refer him to another psychiatrist or perhaps even try to escalate him on the waiting list. 

Look after yourself too as you help your son thorugh this challenging time.

Hey there @Mumtryingtohelp how have you been travelling since your post? Our forum is a really supportive community. We are here to soundboard for you and listen Heart Feeling helpless is one of the hardest things, but sometimes just being the strength in his life, reminding him you love him and that through the journey you're there - is a really impactful thing. There's definitely more strategies available to you however, I'd recommend getting in touch with our help centre too between 10am-10pm weekdays. Our counsellors keep everything confidential, and they have tonnes of ideas arounds supporting adult children through mental health issues. Also Mensline support carers of men affected by depression and anxiety, they have a lot of ideas too in terms of referral 🙂 Hope to chat to you again soon, keen to hear how you are travelling.

Hello and hugs @Mumtryingtohelp@Kasey13 

thinking of you lots today xxxxx

Thanks @Shaz51 hope all is going OK with you too.

Hey Kasey13 

Thanks so much.  I am trying to have this conversation with him but so nice to have support of others who have been through this.  I will let you know how we go.  

Thank you ....I means a lot.

@nashy thanks so much I will try and get in contact. I had my son over for lunch finally after trying to get hold of him for weeks but it was tricky to chat about real things with other family around. He wants to come over and do some gardening for me so I think that is a great sign. I will let you all know how it goes but I still think he needs to see a professional soon.

@Mumtryingtohelp I don’t know if this helps, we had real difficulty getting my partner referred to a psychiatrist and the GP made a number of referrals that had long waiting lists. Eventually I phoned around everywhere I could and found someone who had an opening and took that name to the GP and she was seen within a week.

Also he is very lucky to have such a caring mum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance