Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

guava_juice
New Contributor

Can medication treat negative symptoms of schizophrenia?

Hi there,

A bit about myself - I was diagnosed with first-episode psychosis in 2014 and I've been on antipsychotic medication ever since. Currently, I am still experiencing what my psychiatrist calls negative symptoms of schizophrenia, such as lack of emotions, thoughts and loss of memory (at times). When it comes to medication, I've become more and more skeptical over the past years as the medication I'm on doesn't seem to eradicate these negative symptoms away (but thankfully, it doesn't make it worse either, imo). But I don't want to give up hope - has anyone experienced such negative symptoms before, as I've mentioned, and DID medication help? And if so, what meds were you on? I know it's often a case-by-case basis, and this post of mine is pretty amateur, but I'm curious to find out if negative symptoms can be completely eradicated by medication. 

Also, I have asked my psychiatrist about this, too - she says it could be my meds, but I have told her of my "illness timeline" - i.e I was experiencing these negative symptoms BEFORE taking my current meds...so yeah. 

Thank you. I hope you have a lovely day! 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Can medication treat negative symptoms of schizophrenia?

Hi @guava_juice,

This is an interesting question that you pose - we have quite a few members that live with schizophrenia. I am sure they have had multiple experiences with medication. 

Just a heads up, as part of the forum guidelines members can't mention specific medications. So while they can't respond to that part of the question they can talk to their experiences with medication and whether it helped with the negative symptoms of their diagnosis. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance