Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

Bipolar 1 vs schizophrenia

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone new what was the difference between bipolar 1 and schizophrenia. I know with bipolar 1 you have hallucinations, delusions etc plus a mood disorder like depression. With schizophrenia (particularly schizoaffective disorder) you have the same ..... so what is the clincial definition in layman's language.

Just curious as I was first diagnosed with bipolar 1 then schizoaffective disorder. Son2 also has schizophrenia but has huge manic swings. It seems there is a fine line drawn between the two diagnosis. Thanking in advance. peax

14 REPLIES 14
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Bipolar 1 vs schizophrenia

@greenpea  here are are some visuals that may help images (68).jpg

images (69).jpg

images (70).jpg

@Former-Member  thanks Darcy just waiting for the pics to show. I like visuals as they often explain so much better than paragraphs of writing. 

@Former-Member  Hey Darcy the diagms are great but it still doesnt explain the difference between bipolar I and schizo affective disorder. As they both have hallucinations and delusions and mood disorders...... I am a confused pea 😮

Former-Member
Not applicable

@greenpea is this easier?images (71).jpg

@Former-Member  Yes that has helped alot :)x

I have wandered and wondered through masses of literature on the subject. @greenpea 

I have diagnoses of all of them in my family and changing ones .... etc .. mostly it seems there are a few spectrums and I concentrate on the person in front of me ... labels are just a guideline ...

Hugs Gp

Smiley LOL

You've morphed into a doc!

Heart

Appleblossom Just googled and got this 

Schizoaffective Disorder is often confused with Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features. Both diagnosis include mood changes that impact life as well as symptoms of psychosis. ... However, when mood problems flare up, such as during a depressed or manic episode, the symptoms of psychosis can worsen.

Hi @Gazza75  thanks for your support. Have you got any ideas on when the diagnosis flips from one to the other? I have a feeling I will have to ask my psychiatrist next time I see her.

Hi @greenpea, I am sorry I don't. I have Bipolar 2.  Definitely worth talking to your doctor. Wishing you well. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance