Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: And just when we thought things were going well...

Hi @Boo13

I just want to let you know that you are writing well in this very stressful situation. My oldest son started a journey of Psychosis at the age of 20 but I can now see his journey there at the age of about 11 to 14 years old.

My husband is also diagnosed chronic ( meaning all the time) paranoid schizophrenia. He is loving to both my sons.... I'm very fortunate to have him in my life but it has not always been like that.

@Boo13....this is my slant on what you are going through.

Every person has their own individuality in their mental ill health illness. It depends on the absolute love that you and your husband gave him when he was born, his IQ comes right into it about how manipulative he can be,

Though Psychiatrists, Doctors nurses might say one thing, remember YOU know your son the best. You know what he needs. People, including myself, have been lost in the system and it's so so overwhelming that we all forget that it is compulsory that as the loved one or carer of the patient.......we are listened to. It is STATE LAW.

My name is PappiPatty and like many people here, we are here for you,

Heart

Good morning @Boo13

How are you and how is your son feeling now?

*hugs* to you 🧡🧡💝

Hi 

i am feeling much calmer now, having had a couple of weeks respite for myself too.  My son is doing better in the scheme of things.  We are currently out of crisis mode and he is coping with life again at this time.  You think you understand the person and the illness, but will we ever really know?  

What I can say is that this experience no matter how hard has made me a better person for the experience.  My son's experience has made me more grateful, a better listener and improved my mindfulness.

Hi Boo13 - thought I'd comment as there are a few similarities between what you've seen with your boy and what I've seen with my own teenager.  Also psychotic, also a heartwarming period of improvement, also a very rapid descent once things started to go south. It is terrible when you think it is all resolved and you have to face that it isn't.  Nonetheless I hope he will be one of the lucky ones who responds well. 

When my boy is becoming unwell it's frightening for all of us.  He will seek out psychiatric help after a few weeks of increasing chaos, then almost immediately regret it and try to exit the system.  (He's absconded from the ED, the AIPU and the ICA within the AIPU.) From what you said a bit earlier perhaps your son feels the same way - and if he's smart, no doubt he can be very convincing.  You did so well to stand your ground and get him admitted.  If it ever happens again, you know your boy, you may have to insist but please, please do so.

It's good to hear that things are going better again.  I hope the respite is healing for you all.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance