Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: 3 - 4 - 5

@Appleblossom
Have also been impacted by what other forumites have said in passing for which I too am grateful.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom

I do remember @oceangirl telling me about her community work at the zoo - she did really seemed to enjoy her role there and get a lot out of it. Marvellous that she was able to inspire you to take that step forward towards wholeness. What days do you work there?

What a relief that must of been to receive the phone call from your son telling you he is finally coming through his current episode. I do know of the high anxiety, grief and worry this can cause when they are not well and go off the rails. That fearing of losing them. It's a day at a time for me then to cope; - all I could do with my daughter when she hit bottom was to pick up the pieces letting her know that I still loved her. And yes, to see any signs of improvements was very welcomed and did help to lessen my anxiety in order to get through it. It's real hard....

How are you feeling now @Appleblossom? Things still looking up for your son?

I had been working on things pretty hard for him, but got a lot done. 

Went to a lecture at uni on the way to choir practise. Home last night at 11.30,

So today I allowed myself a much needed sleep in.

I hope things will turn a corner soon.  I have to wait and see.

Thank you so much for asking about me. @Former-Member

@Former-MemberYes the things that are helpful are not always the direct things, that is why I think it is so good that we share about more than just the mental health related stuff .. but look at things more as whole people.

I do not do a specific day at zoo. @Former-Member They have a great computer system where we book online for specific shifts.  That flexibility suits me better than locking in a day. It is my choir practises that help anchor my week and give structure.  At the moment they are Monday & Tuesday nights, but next year will be some Thursday nights.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Appleblossom

I like the way the zoo manages their shifts by allowing volunteers to book hours/days that suits. So much better to organise around other commitments; fitting in with one's individual particular circumstances. Brillant.

Sounds like you have a very full life, rich and varied. I would like to achieve more in my week this way - for years it was centred on my daughter and husband's health, which I don't mind at all, but feel there is part of me that needs to develop further towards wholeness.  It's all about getting that balance I feel. Sounds like you are getting there which is inspiring and interesting to read about. 

Glad you managed to catch up on some sleep - feels good doesn't it. I feel born again after 9 hours of slumber lol. I have no doubt you and your son will turn a corner - it's just the timing that can be uncertain. All very individual. But it will happen. There was a time I thought it was fruitless with my daughter's healing (as you probably already know); it felt like never ending grief for years.......it seems to be when I reached that edge looking over - a tide would turn. Keep holding onto hope my friend  💕🤗

Thank you @Former-Member

The zoo has a 7 hour per month minimum requirement which I can manage.

Yes I do have a fair idea how serious your situation was with your daughter and 

YES it does give me strength and faith for the future of my son.

I need it as there is still work to be done beore we turn a corner.

Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance