Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Saturday Soiree - all welcome!!

Well I've never had any of the Fancy Accessories (Riding Gear) - that you've been describing.

Nothing like any of your pictures.

I still have my Bike Jacket (very heavy), even though I haven't worn it in 25 years.

& Gloves

& Shoei Helmet.

I'm not a fan of Harleys - very under-powered, over-weighted bikes

Japanese bikes are far more powerful, & much lighter - which means you can almost take off, & hit the stratosphere....

Suzukis, Hondas & Yamahas, I've ridden.

Somehow I missed out on Kawasakis...

Adge

LOL  @Appleblossom  re sharing your room and chic chickpeas! 

I had one of those jackets too, but the padding was removable - and I did remove it.  Not so smart, but the leather was still good and thick.   When I see riders in stupid or no footwear e.g. thongs, or lane-splitting in traffic I have a name for them - TA's  = temporary Australians.

Hi @TAB  and @Adge 

Adge I agree about the Harleys being underpowered, undergeared etc.  My Hyosung GV Aquilla 250 imitation was even more so.  And it was the heaviest 250 you could get in Australia they said.   So it ran at very high revs in every gear even when cruising and not accelerating.  Quite a silly choice for a first bike and inexperienced rider.

I remember well at the training course learning that the gear with kevlar  in it that was meant to be so safe was actually a real problem to get off an injured driver as ambo's couldn't cut through it.  Piece of trivia there!

One useful thing they trained us to do was jumping a piece of 4x4 timber on the road.  It was really hard to get my front wheel up on such a heavy bike but I did do it.  And when I had to get over something suddenly on the road one day it was a really good skill to have.

Starting my day remembering one of my boyfriends had a Honda something and used to race around as fast as he could.  Scraping pegs all the time.  One day when I was on pillion he went so fast (this time on a straight stretch) that my footpeg vibrated off completely.  So I finished the ride with one foot in the air.  Now that I mention it quite a few boyfriends with bikes come to mind!  I guess it was part of the attraction for me - make sense of that!

Just remembered too when I broke 3 toes on my gear foot and was still determined to ride.  Commitment!

It's nice starting the day with happy memories to distract my mind.

Hope you all have a gentle start to today and find some positives as it unfolds.  Stay kind x

..well TBU .. @eth  ..throttle benders union @Appleblossom  

that was a bit cheeky of me @Appleblossom  give me an inch and Ill take a mile sometimes 

Listening to some wonderful music I just re-discovered.  @Appleblossom  thinking you might love it too.  Jeremy Dutcher identifies as Canadian first nations twin spirit and sings opera and plays piano, sometimes working to bring forward his grandfathers' lost songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF6CfGndHH8

May 22, 2019 | Bob Boilen -- Jeremy Dutcher came to the Tiny Desk with sparkling, purple streams of glitter draped around his shoulders. Then he set his iPad on our Yamaha upright piano, not to read his score as pianists do these days, but to play a centuries-old wax cylinder recording of a song ...

Hearing you about inadequate protection on bikes. @eth I spent 6 months in South East Asia and so became used to lesser levels of protective gear, and multiple pillions, but also bikes were smaller and speeds were slow on unmade roads etc etc ... very different kettle of fish.

I think you went for the type that I only rubbed elbows with, and moved on.  SO from mid 20s my life was learning about ideas, earth science, political science, literature and peddle pushing and bags of legumes in the student union. lol

Yes @TAB  I know you are cheeky. Thanks for admitting it.

I turned to the Urban dictionary. Tbh the TBU guy ended up being another suicide a lot lot later. He was not all bad, just a hot head and a Qlder and worked on mines. He was my bf's sister's bf ... if you can follow the "family" connections with a beautiful daughter. 

Thx  eth for music

playing Latin today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15Awd5yqaM 

Good morning to any and all passing through here today.  Hope the day has started gently for everyone and has some nice parts to it.  And that it's a better day than yesterday for anyone struggling at the moment.

@Appleblossom @TAB @Adge @Owlunar @Bill16 @Jacques @Shaz51 @Flying_Hams @Former-Member @Pepsimax @Former-Member   @Mazarita @Maggie @CheerBear @greenpea @Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope @Zoe7 @Teej @frog @outlander @saltandpepper @Ladasha @isoL8 @MaddieM @Vimes @Mine @Aulelei @Sans911 @Snowie @Sophia1 @Exoplanet @Eden1919 @Meowmy @Former-Member @Eden1919    Please feel free to tag anyone I missed here and also to join in if I missed you.

Welcome to those who are new to the forums.  This is a social thread and good for meeting new people and it's also ok to post about whatever's going on for you at the moment, you will find support here.

Bit of a late start on here this morning compared to other Saturdays.  Started my day with some things on the routine schedule I've been working on and then came across notes and essays from a writing workshop last year.  Ended up going down the google rabbit hole finding meanings for new words and concepts.  I love that stuff.  

Looking forward to hanging out with whoever makes it here today.  I'll be around for a while now and hope some of you are here too so we can connect in real time.

For new people a bit about me - I have bipolar 1, complex PTSD and am a survivor of multiple traumas including DV and SA.   All the anxiety and depression that goes along with those things.  - I am a writer and have a great love of words - wanting to increase my vocabulary whenever I can. 

-  I live in a cabin and am 56 years old.  - I've been doing the social distancing thing for nearly a month already with my brother, sister-in-law and her mother and a gorgeous border collie.  Getting a bit stir crazy now and then.

Take care and stay kind everyone.  

@eth   - if you're new you can tag someone by typing @ and you'll see a drop down box with the most recent posters name in it (like I just did).  Type the name you want if it's not there and it should appear, just click on it.

Once upon a time the road to Grafton was a twisty turny thing with nature all around, there was much scraping of footpegs and happiness to be a part of the world. He had a 1974 Honda 750 something and I had a custom Brando jacket from Mars Leathers in Elizabeth St. Melbourne. ahh the old days...

@eth  Hey eth good to see you :). How are you going with your support workers with the whole covid-19 thing? Have they made many changes to you routine?

Hey @eth @Appleblossom @TAB @Adge @Bill16   good morning everyone.

I haven't much news today. Just the same no work.   I keep finding myself rationalizing timelines on when I can go back to work.  Maybe term 3 I don't know.....

Had a lovely day with Mr Angels and S1 and D3 yesterday playing old console games and then an epic board game (a sci-fi game) that lasted 6 hours and a few bottles of wine

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance