Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

NAIDOC Week 2021 - Heal Country 🖤💛❤️

NAIDOC WEEK 2021 – Heal Country 🖤💛❤️

We acknowledge Traditional Owners of the lands we join the SANE Forums from today, and celebrate the connections to Country, knowledge and stories. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging and extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples here today.

naidoc-2021-poster.jpeg

NAIDOC Week (4th-11th of July) is a time to come together and celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

This year, the theme of NAIDOC week is Heal Country, which calls on us to embrace and celebrate the cultural knowledge, understandings and practices of First Nations people to protect and care for country including land, water and scared sites, and promote healing of country for future generations.

Over the last two years, we have seen natural disasters such as bushfires and floods, and the impact that has had on land, water and people. First Nations cultural knowledge and understandings have protected and maintained country for many generations, and this knowledge is essential in protecting and sustaining country for future.

Healing country starts with each and every person embracing and celebrating culture. It also calls for broader social and political change to ensure a better future.

How will we be celebrating NAIDOC week here on the forums?

This week, we invite you to share and celebrate country with us here in the forums.

This is a time to learn more about the country you come from, share how you connect to country and promote the voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

During this discussion we will invite you to share what country you come from (this might include where you were born or where you live). We will also ask about what is special to you about the country you come from, and how you can promote and support the voices of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, organisations and communities to heal country. This includes sharing stories, resources, media, knowledge and celebrating culture.

I want to acknowledge that some resources and stories shared in this space as part of this discussion may include voices and stories from those who have passed away. 

Let’s get started:

1. What country do you come from? 

Early this week, I found this illustration by Gubbi Gubbi woman Maggie Jean Douglas that I love. Maggie was also the designer of this year’s NAIDOC Week Poster. You are welcome to use this to share which country you come from.

E5RA-2FVgAIEN8_ (1).jpeg

If you aren’t sure what country you come from, this week is an opportunity to connect to country and learn more.

1. Tell us about the country you are from. What is special about the country you are from and what can you do to connect to country?

You are welcome to share photos and stories of country provided it meets the anonymity guidelines. 

1. Share resources, articles and media that you are seeing this NAIDOC week, especially those that promote the voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples

Keep an eye out for what Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander peoples, communities and organisations are doing in your area, and how you can support the work and initiatives to heal country.

­­­­_______________

Open, respectful, honest, and safe discussions are important for all of us to come together. To keep this space safe and respectful of the diverse experiences of our community, we ask that all members refresh their understanding of the community guidelines in advance so that we can make this discussion inclusive and welcoming.

If you feel distressed during this discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the Forums and talk to others, contact the SANE Support Counselling team on 1800 18 7263 (Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm AEST) or find crisis support options here.

22 REPLIES 22

Re: NAIDOC Week 2021 - Heal Country 🖤💛❤️

I might start this conversation today 🙂 Looking forward to hearing from you and learning more about healing country. My hope for this month is to learn more so that I can be a better ally 

1. What country do you come from? 

I grew up on Darug and Guringai land where I lived most of my life as a child and into my adulthood. My family still live on Darug land, which is surrounded by bushlands and creeks. 

I am joining the forums today from Wallumedegal land where I now live and work.

1. Tell us about the country you are from. What is special about the country you are from and what can you do to connect to country?

Darug land is steeped in wildlife and it was a beautiful place to grow up. I have always lived on the bush up until 6 months ago, and grew up with bush on three sides of my house. Bushwalking for me is one of the most grounding experiences, and is something I now share with my partner and step son. Not far from my house we had many protected sites; carvings and rock caves. I learned today that one carving in my area tells the story of the rainbow serpent.

IMG_7527.jpg

Living this close to to the bush, we also had lots of bush fires, and I was always amazed at the incredible resilience of the bush to grow back and the new life from these events. 

I want to learn more about the Darug land, and will do more research this week to learn more about the history of the land I lived on. 

I now live on Wallumedegal land which runs along a beautiful river.
Image from iOS.jpg

1. Share resources, articles and media that you are seeing this NAIDOC week, especially those that promote the voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples

I have been seeing lots of things I'd love to share so I might spread them out over the week. I'll start with a few videos I found this week:

This is a great video about what healing country means from NSACAMob. They are sharing videos every day this week on instagram. 

I found a video encouraging all people to connect to country this NAIDOC week

I was born in France and now respectfully live on Wurundjeri Country

Hi @Elac, thank you for sharing where you are joining from and call home. I would love to hear more about the country you live on 🙂 

Tagging a few people who might be interested in this discussion and who contributed to the National Reconciliation Week Discussion @Appleblossom @Mazarita @eth @utopia @Schitzo @Olga @Former-Member @Exoplanet @ArraDreaming 

I was born on Wurundjeri country and now live on the lands of Wauthurrung, Woiwarrung and Boonwarrung all of the Kulin nation.

Celebrating clapsticks made from Tasmanian Blackwood.

Ancestors

@Daisydreamer @Appleblossom @Elac 

Hi everyone I was born on Yinikutira land, I now live on Wajuk country but my mob is Goreng hailing from Katanning way in Western Australia. Both these last two are are part of the overall Nyoongar land which extends from Esperance on the south coast to Geralton on the west coast which is quite an extensive area.

The above is an example of Nyoongar art from the Carrolup Mission.

The South West of Western Australia is very beautiful with gorgeous forrests.  80% of the plant species found there are found nowhere else on planet Earth. There are also more than 8000 species of wildflowers and many and varied kinds of wildlife. My totem is the Willy Wagtail, known as Djidi Djidi (pronounced Chitty Chitty). It is my job to care for and to protect this little bird as well as his habitat. Whenever I see Djidi Djidi it is lucky for me although he is also a message bird so if anything bad happens around him then I have to be very careful. To connect to country I like to go hiking especially on the Bibbulman track. I once did 3 weeks in one go and hiked from Kalamunda to Collie. 

Happy NAIDOC Week Peeps!

Love,

Meggle

Wow @Oaktree , this artwork is beautiful and meaningful. I love the intersecting circles that both divide and bind. Everything is connected isn’t it? Interesting that in Wurundjeri language, the Willy wagtail name is Djirri Djirri and is also a messenger. There is in Narrm (Melbourne) a women dance group who uses that name. They are all related to Annie Borat, sister of William Barack who fought for their survival and obtained land at Corranderrk. The artwork also reminds me of their song 6 layers of Country. See their explanation of it here https://artgradfest.rmit.edu.au/festival-events-2020/djirri-djirri  

Yes @Elac 

Everything is definitely connected and interconnected. I picked this artwork to showcase Nyoongar art for a couple of reasons. Firstly because it is so striking. Secondly it represents a lot of the different areas in the South-West. Thirdly it's from Carrolup Mission which is very famous for it's artwork by the children there and is quite close to Katanning. I hope you enjoy looking at it 🙂

Meggle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance