Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Hobbies And Interests:what are yours?

I had just replied to someone who replied to my post.The idea came up about interests.So I thought it would be nice if we all share our interests/hobbies here.I'll start.

Here are my interests/hobbies:

I love playing piano and writing music.I do it because I enjoy it.I havent played professionally although I've managed to sit at a grand piano in places that had one and never got a complaint.

1970s hits vinyl record collection.Been collecting for many years.Built up a collection.

Old toys I had when I was kid.I bought more of the ones I used to have and bought other ones I wanted to have.I even bought the books on those toys so I can read up about each one.Matchbox,Corgi,Dinky and Hot Wheels.You guys can relate to that.

I love reading.I buy books on my favourite cars,how to type books,self improvement books,pets,toys,etc.The enjoyment I get from reading and the calming effect it has is also a bonus.My latest books are about acupressure,some car books,how to paint cars,etc.

Your turn.What hobbies and interests have you got? What do you love about them?

Chris.

41 REPLIES 41

Re: Hobbies And Interests:what are yours?

Great topic for a Sunday arvo Denv12!

I love to read and will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on - except those soppy romances.  I prefer psychological thrillers and my kids tell me I'm studying to be a serial killer.  

Music - listening or playing.  I have my guitar and saxaphone but sadly due to a health problem I haven't been able to play my sax for a few years now.  

My pets are family not hobby but the time they take surely makes them one!!! 2 dogs and 5 guinea pigs...always someone to talk to and play with.

Colouring mandalas; I think sometimes I get a bit obsessive with that hobby.

My Duran Duran collection should rate a mention.  Started in 1982 it's quite extensive lol.

Some call it work, but I manage 2 facebook pages and a website.  I enjoy it and being self taught every day is a new experience and I just love expanding my knowledge.  

Hobbies and interests for me are escaping into books..fiction non fiction all rate equally..although I do have a special place for Terry Pratchett Discworld series...just love hugs humour and satire...in a fantasy setting...

I love listening to music and planning quilt designs, they don't always get made but it's fun to draw them!

Coffee with friends or walks..more of a necessities than a hobby, soo good for my mental health..

Work..I love work and I approach it like a hobby as it keeps my interest high!

hey. i read knowledge kinda books. stuff you can learn from. but whilst my head is down in a book i feel i'm missing the passing world. so very rare occurance do i read a book. i can read tho. 

i go to the pub. more times than i read. 

i don't knit.

i can talk. i can listen. but when there's air in the conversation i get bored. 

I adore books...reading, collecting books mostly from the children's genre..such as the Billabong books by Mary Grant Bruce, the Golden Boomerang radio serial books, AA Milne , Tolkien etc.John Buchan...who wrote The Thirty Nine Steps, poetry. I am a fan of space opera and in particular the Vorkosigan books by Lois Bujold McMaster.

Anything with needle and thread, embroidery, stump work , crewel work, knitting and crochet etc. I enjoy baking which is a curse on your own so I guerrilla bake...lemon meringue pies go to people as a thank you.

I would love to see some of your embroidery work! I enjoy mostly tapestry as it is portable which helps, but what to do with all the tapestries I have completed? Some I have turned into bags, others I can't decide if they're too large for bags or cushions...I am hoping as I get older eventually I will learn beading or raised surface work..the irony being my eyesight is getting poorer and I want to delve into needlecraft..maybe I am thinking of stump work?

I knit.  Slowly.  I started knitting a patchwork blanket when I was pregnant with my first child.  Over the years it now fits a queen size bed but isn't quite finished.  The knitting itself would come about in fits and bursts usually only in the cooler months.  That child turned 21 last week 😛  Might see if I can get it finished this year.

I remember the kids books I had as a child.The Happy Venture Readers.I have no idea how many there were.

Then there are "The Wonderful world of walt Disney" books.There were 4 in the series.Green,blue,yellow and red.Still got mine.

And just any book I enjoyed as kid.I manage to keep a lot of stuff that I had as a kid.My old toys got shared artound but I managed to buy more over the years.Mum kept a lot of things we had too.

Chris.

I remember the happy venture books....they had Richard ( one may not post the diminutive of the boy's name!) and Dora didn't they. I have acquired facsimile editions of the Queeensland School Readers of my mother's vintage....very non PC today, but back then it was all about God, king and country, with emphasis on self sacrifice. The lower school books had poems and short stories about death and dying, to me a more realistic view of life etc., although I am sure there would be tons of folk who disagree. <br> <br><br>I would love to post a picture but have no idea how to do so....<br>

Hobbies:

Reading - pure entertainment or for learning new stuff, escapism and as copnversation starters

Drawing/Painting/taking photos, Gardening, Preserving, Cheesemaking, Crafty stuf like knitting/crochet, Cooking - anything where you make or create something.I jst love creating stuff, I get all chuffed. Behold! a cheesecake where before there was nothing!!

Learning programing - This is both leanring new stuff AND making things!

Pets (chickens, cats etc) - Just love animals. I often say that I anthropomorphise animals much more than I do people.

Exercise/weights/jogging/yoga - the endorphins!

Boardgames/Cardgames - entertainment and 'social' at the right level for me. I am quite competitive so I need to be a bit careful not to be a bad loser (and worse winner!)

Journalling - self reflection, stream of consciousness, thinking 'out loud' - helps me to get my thoughts in order. I often 'process on paper' if I am struggling with an issue.

Interests:

Herbal medicine - harkens back to the days when I wanted to be a naturopath, I enjoy growing herbs and making the remedies.

Neuroplasticity, Positive psychology, Placebo effect/unconscious influences, NLP (neurolinguistic , programming), hypnosis/trance work, altered states of consciousness, Metaphors/visual metaphors  - the brain is a very cool playground and it does SO MANY cool things!

Personal development - particularly ways to 'hack' improvements rather than needing to brute force them.

Films - I love good movies (especially arthouse types) and seem to 'get' the visual language of them, and enjoy film analysis

Animals/Zoology - just love animals, but it is a tricky topic as I am SUPER sensitive to animal cruelty so it can be hard to learn about animals without coming across a lot of cruelty and destruction too. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance