Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Mazarita
Community Elder

Govt drops NDIS independent assessments

Hi @eth and others interested in the NDIS. Great news today! The much-feared independent assessments the federal government was planning to introduce this year, have been scrapped.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/ndis-disability-independent-assessments-model-dead-after-meet...

A collective sigh of relief from disability advocates and those of us applying for or receiving NDIS.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Govt drops NDIS independent assessments

Thank you for sharing @Mazarita, that is good news 🙏

Hi @Anastasia came and posted it immediately after reading. Really good news.

Fantastic news! 🙂

This is a good start @Mazarita but the cynic in me can't help but wonder that the Lib government will find other ways to vilify people with disabilities and make us feel like unworthy criminals that make no contribution to society, similarly how they make you feel if applying for the DSP. One tactic that they use at Centrelink it to deny all applications regardless of how genuine they are at least initially. They bank on the person with a disability giving up and they use attrition. Its about 18 months since I applied for the NDIS but I think the application process for the NDIS is becoming more similar to the DSP application now, last time I went online and had a look at the forms for people I know. My NDIS support workers have also noticed it is much harder to be approved for the scheme now. On the ABC this morning the reporter said that instead of creating 10,000 permanent public service positions of thoroughly trained NDIA staff, they outsourced the work to NFP's and the private sector leaving previous, chefs, bus drivers and construction workers becoming Local Area Coordinators and Planners, and that the Planners have no training in disability whatsoever, let alone Trauma-Informed training. That really really showed in my 1st review, I was in tears and my Support Coordinator was livid with how he spoke to me. He read a letter my P-doc had written about my abuse history and he made me feel so ashamed. Apparently they want to scrap Support Coordinators to save money and some people with severe mental illness will be left to hire, fire and audit their owner support workers and deal with the private companies that want the cash from the NDIA. They also haven't chosen to scrutinise the providers and audit their billing, instead they focus on the participants and what a drain we are. I wish I was in a stronger place to do more advocacy, and I hope to one day, but I just can't at the moment. Good luck with your supports and I hope that it can help you get out in life a little more - Corny. 

Hey @Mazarita and others - the cynic in me is active too.  I reckon they'll change the wording of the legislation and try again while we're not looking, but this is definitely a battle won in a larger war.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance