Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Far and Away

by the time I was 16 , i had no grandparents left @Flying_Hams 

thank you my sister @Zoe7 , give my mum hugs when i am there and when i leave

yes I was soo tired last night and after having mr sha at the dentist

will be goingtobed early tonight too @Zoe7 as we won`t get home until about 6pm tomorrow

we will see our smokey Smiley Very Happy

and then we will see my MIL and SIL when we mow a lawn 30kms away  and havea coffee with them before coming home xxx

How lovely to have know your great grandparents too @Flying_Hams Ours were all long passed when we came along so never knew them. From what my Mum has said her grandparents were all lovely people too so it is not surprising that my Nan and Pop turned out as they did. Both were raised in the country  and my Pop was a bit like your great grandfather - he could make or fix anything. When my sister was hit by a car he made walking rails for her in his backyard to help her to walk again - he spent everyday out there with her until she could do it on her own ...something I will never forget of my Pop.

oh yes tomorrow is Smoky day @Shaz51 I look forward to hearing all about the precious little fella. Hope he gives you some extra hugs tomorrow my sister Heart

Not going to be an early night for me but I am determined to get everything moved from my bedroom to the spare room tonight. Going to have dinner (veggies are cooked) and then watch the rest of the cricket. I will say goodnight to you now @Shaz51 because when I return you will most likely already be asleep. Heart

Off to get dinner @Flying_Hams - will be back later if you are still around Smiley Very Happy

Stories like this always make me feel better about the human condition @Zoe7 @Shaz51 🙂

good night my sister @Zoe7 , don`t rush things my darling xoxo, one step at a time

hope you are feeling a bit better now

@Flying_Hamsmy last great grandma passed away when I was 16

she was 95 years old xxxx

I'm fierce about stuff I own and I hate letting some things go that mean a lot to me. As a welfare child, nothing was mine. Even my clothes were shared or stolen. My poor foster mother used to send me back to the care home with new clothes but when she learned that I never got to keep them, she sent me back in what clothes I arrived in.

It's just awful when you care about stuff but others don't or despise that you too. Or show contempt. It's a harsh loss to bear. It's like a spear to your ♥.

You move on from these losses but you never forget. You get a little more guarded about things that you have. At least I do. People tell me all the time I have a lot of stuff. I don't need to be told. I'm well aware. But it's my stuff. And if they knew why they might understand.

Sorry @Zoe7 that was very about me. But I think I understand a little about how you feel

hey @Shaz51 goodnight my friend 🙂

I can certainly understand why you have a lot of stuff @Sans911 - and you are so right - it is yours and you can do what you want or don't want with it all. Your upbringing is certainly a contributing factor to that and I honestly could not imagine how hard that was for you Smiley Sad It does make things you have now have more meaning because they are things you have for yourself and no-one can take anything away from you anymore.

We were very different than you as kids - we never went without anything ...even if that meant my Mum taking on extra jobs, borrowing money off my grandparents or going without food herself. We were very well looked after in that regard. I do know my Pop paid for so much of my sport and travel with it. We had some fundraisers but it was never enough to cover everything. I do remember overhearing a conversation between my Mum and Pop about one of my trips away - she was crying because she just did not have the money to send me ...but Pop came through again Heart

My Mum encouraged us (both my sister and I) to do whatever we wanted to do and sport was a big part of that. The only exception to that was in High School where she and the teachers 'encouraged' me to take the more aceaemic subjects - I wanted to do woodwork and Art - and now those are the things I still love - who knows what path I may have taken if I had done those at High School.

With my school stuff it is both the loss of things as well as the contempt shown when I was not able to be there to myself to pack them up. There was so much damaged or unusable when I first unpacked everything and now to find so much missing also is heartbreaking - but nothing I can do so will have to get over it. 👍

95 is a fair innings @Shaz51 She was old when you came along so great that you got some time with her.

Yes @Flying_Hams There are some good people out there Smiley Very Happy

@Faith-and-Hope I am getting a little worried about you Hon. I know you said January but I thought (hoped) it would be earlier than this that you were back with us. I hope you are okay my angel - think about you everyday and miss you more and more as each day passes. Makes me realise even more how important you are in my life and how part of it is missing when you are not here. My world is a little smaller without you in it so I cannot wait until you are back and the light that you bring with you returns to the forum (and into my life). Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance