Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Neo
Contributor

Diagnosis Dilemma

Boy oh boy what can l trust in my Mental Psychosis Peers?

My Diagnosis have been varied and interesting.....up to a few years ago l was searching far and wide to heal, repair myself...

Being Schizophrenia seemed the closest to my unwellness...

l mentioned this to a group of a trained mental team and within

one month l was given meds for

Schizo Affective Disorder....

it seemed their now diagnosis 

was my own diagnosis...

l wonder if l was wrong and had l not mentioned this, l may have had a different diagnosis?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Diagnosis Dilemma

Sorry for the mistake....

Hi @Neo 

Lots of different people here, with different takes on the whole caboose ...  peers does not really mean the same ....

I did a similar thing re schizo affective ... and it found its way into my file.  Lately someone said I was BiPolar, but did not seem to have evidence ... but I can talk myself into have most psych labels.

Take Care

Apple

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Neo and @Appleblossom,

I have a few things I have been diagnosed with and despite my having had the symptoms for 15+ years I was only diagnosed with in the last few years. 

This was my doing though because any time a dr mentioned a mental health assessment I changed dr fearing that it would make me like my mother.

It was only when switching became noticeable to others outside of the few that helped me hide it did I finally give in. 

I expected the anxiety diagnosis due to my fainting spells being put down to anxiety and stress. But appart from that the only other mental health thing I knew about was schizophrenia due to my nan having it and bipolar because by mother has it but won't go get properly diagnosed despite 6 drs and 4 psychologists telling her that she has it.

So when I was diagnosed with depression, CPTSD and DID I was not only surprised to have something completely different but that I could be diagnosed with so many. They knew my family history with mental health because I made a big point of telling them that I don't have what my nan and mum have. 

But also in saying that I had to see a dr other then my normal recently and he reckons I do have bipolar

I also wonder if it has something to do with actively trying to do things differently than our mothers, as we saw the bad sides of their behaviour patterns, but still struggling ...

???

Former-Member
Not applicable

Wow BabyDragon. (love the handle) you certainly have had a long adventure re diagnosis.....Schizophrenia l feel is easier than most disorders to live with....We are very creative creatures and usually fairly intelligent...

when the mood is very low we tend to sit and think a lot...

but otherwise life is livable lol

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance