Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Emmasunnycoast
Casual Contributor

supporting my girlfriend with ptsd and how I can better understand self harm

My girlfriend suffers from ptsd she has been through alot throughout her life begining from very young childhood. The last year she has been struggling alot feeling very depressed and her anxiety has been very extreme. She has recently had days of thoughts of self harm. Just this week she did self harm. I was not around when she done it but when i did see it it was very distressing for me to see how she can be so vunareble and self harm heraself. She has been seeing pchsologist for the last 6 month but doesnt seem to be getting anywhere with progressing if so things seem to be worse she did see a pchsologist that she had a great relationship with and i believ could of helped but she unfortuanatelty fell ill and could not continue to see her any longer so then she see another who she felt made her anxious after seeing so then seen a 3rd pchsologist current one who i feel is not good i have also seen her and feel she is not help my girlfriend manage with coping mechanisms for the self harm. So since this injury to herself she has gone to the doctor for referral to see a pcshciatrist so hoping they can help her. Would like to know through if anyone would be familiar with similair experiences. She is on anti depressant tablets and all has been getting worse since then i understand it could be due to the tablets how long should we wait until trying other tablets? the doctor put the dosage up around 3 weks ago and this is when all got alot worse. Some days I feel very strong and able to support her through these difficult times but other times i feel as though i have no life of my own and just want to relieve myself of the responsibility of having to be around all the time so i went and stayed with friends for a night and just had me time to de-stress and enjoy myself. Im trying to find others to talk with that would be going through similiar experiences and even go to support groups here on the sunshine coast any recommendations would be great. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: supporting my girlfriend with ptsd and how I can better understand self harm

Hello @Emmasunnycoast

Thank you for sharing a bit about your story with us, it seems like you have gone through some really tough times with your partner and supporting them a lot, they are lucky to have you looking out for them and getting some more support yourself.

You mentioned that your partner is dealing with quite a lot of anxiety and just started self-harming and your not sure why, do you think you could ask them that and have a talk about how that is helpful for them so you can understand more? It can be a thing to control, which is quite often taken away when someone feels anxious, it can also release strong emotions and adrenaline, and it can alos be a way of someone showing they are not coping very well and need some extra support.

It would be good if they could discuss that with their psychologist further to find other ways of coping that are more helpful.

It is a shame they are having a difficult time with the psychologist, it is quite common to feel worse after seeing a psychologist for a while as you are dealing with and opening up soem really raw emotions but if there is a dynamic in their therapeutic relationship that isn't working for your partner, that would be helpful to explore that in the session and work through what is happening between them... as well as discussing the medication changes with the gp, as I am sure these are playing a role.

I like your idea of getting more support in your area too, that is really helpful. There is Mental Health Carers QLD known as ARAFMI, which run support groups, counselling and other support for family and friends, I will give you their details so you can call and see if there is a support group running somewhere near you:

ARAFMI QLD

http://www.arafmiqld.org/

It is great you have come to the forums for extra support right now, I look forward to getting to know you better 🙂

Lunar

Re: supporting my girlfriend with ptsd and how I can better understand self harm

Hi @Lunar

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes times have got quite tough recently. I know why my partner is suffering from the anxiety she is very open to me as I am with her she tells me everything but she is just becoming overhelmed by many thoughts and feelings and when something triggers her anxiety she becomes very volatile and then has thoughts of self harm. It definetely as she feels she isnt coping currently and seeking support but this occasion I just felt this was to much for me to handle and i had to leave for the night so her being left alone escalated her anxiety more and she felt neglected which is a massive fear of hers from childhood experiences. I am hoping this new pschyciatrist that she will see next week will help. Great thank you very much I had signed upto ARAFMI and will get to a support group held with them.

Its great to be on here and read and learn more from others similiar experiences.

Thank you Lunar 🙂 Emmasunnycoast

Hi,

I know it is really hard when someone you care about suffers from post-traumatic disorder.
But you must know that you are not helpless. When it comes to this type of situation, your support can make all the difference in your partner. With your help and support of her family and other friends, I know she can overcome PTSD and move on with her life.

For now, start with giving her support and comfort. You may start on doing normal things with her. Things that have nothing to do with PTSD.Encourage her to participate in

Encourage her to participate in rhythmic exercise, seek out friends, pursue hobbies that bring pleasure to her, take a fitness class together, or set a regular lunch date with family and friends.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance