Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Gemcrest
New Contributor

Where to get help

My daughter at the moment is in a very deep depression. I have tried everything to try and get her to seek help. It is out of my control as she is 22. It has come to the point that she has locked herself in her room only to come out when comes out when there is no one in the house. Refuses to get help. I am so frightened for her own safety being locked in her room. Has anyone got any suggestions as I am loosing my own sanity.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Where to get help

I can relate to your concerns....I have been there too with my daughter.  My advice would be for you to contact a mental health practitioner yourself to get their advice on which way to go.  Because of the fact that she is an "adult" this limits your power to be able to be involved.  Often the only way things can get better is that she hits rockbottom and medical intervention is required....which is hard I know.  It happened to me before we could move forward.  All I can say is have faith and follow your gut feelings.  Blessings to you....x

Thanks for your very thoughtful reply, your right in regards to being involved my main concern at the moment is the locked door and her safety

Hi @Gemcrest

I can completely understand why you would be so concerned about this. It is particularly hard when a loved one won't seek help. 

Just to get a sense of it - does your daughter communicate with you? Is she pleasent or angry or aggressive towards you. I guess I'm just trying to gage what your relationship is like with her at the moment, which might help inform some advice others may have for you.

I understand that your concern that she may harm herself - has she harmed herself or expressed that she wants to hurt herself, in the past?

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance