Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Hch
Casual Contributor

Undiagnosed Tic Disorder? I need some advice..

When I was around 5-7 I remember developing very bad motor and vocal tics (shoulder shrugging, blinking, nose scrunching, grunting, etc.). I went through counselling to deal with stress from family situations which worsened my tics during childhood. After a while, vocal tics stopped but motor tics continued and differed over the years. I also learnt how to suppress them more in public so they’re usually barely noticeable around friends and strangers.
Now I’m 20 (female) and the tics are still present but very minor and bearable during everyday life, occasionally even disappearing for a short period of time, however I also notice that they get worse during periods of stress.
Only recently I’ve been wondering if I have Tourette’s or something else as I’ve never actually been diagnosed.

I’m wondering if it’s worth going to a doctor and finding out if I have Tourette’s or not? It doesn’t effect me greatly in everyday life (minor motor tics), I’d just like to have a peace of mind and finally be able to properly educate myself on what I’ve been dealing with since so young. My current tics are very minor but still usually occur everyday (my current ones being flicking my wrist a certain way, moving my thumb, blinking, and occasional nose scrunching).
I’m sorry this was so long, I’d just like to know what your opinions are on this, what I should do and if its worth my time getting a proper diagnoses now as an adult?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Undiagnosed Tic Disorder? I need some advice..

@Hch Hey there 

There is never bad time to want to go talk to someone 🙂 have you ever tried muscle relaxers?  Do you suffer from anxiety? 

I personally have never regretted going to the phyc or even a GP 

No I haven’t tried anything. I’ve never been diagnosed with anything as far as I know and my mum never wanted me taking medications and things when I was young so I’ve always just brushed it all off until now.

@Hch Even know you say it doesn’t cause distress couldn’t hurt to get an opinion off a professional sorry I couldn’t be of much help i have never experienced tics or torrettes (unless i am driving behind an old lady in the right lane) 

hi @Hch and welcome im around your age too.
I dont have your condition however i think it would be a good idea to speak to a health professional. Your post (what youve written here) is a relaly good place to start with in saying when it started, how it affects you, when you notice it gets worse.
what do you think about speaking to your gp about whats happening so they can help you? they may even be able to provide some medications or refer you to a specilist so they can help you to manage or reduce the effects even though they are bearbale atm.

I don’t really wanna take any medication for it but yeah I think I’ll look into seeing a GP, thanks

Thats ok thats your personal preference for medications @Hch but speaking to your gp would be a good idea if your ok with doing that.

@Hch

Smiley Happy

Getting some medical opinions is a good idea.  They may not prescribe meds anyway, but if you do have it, then you know better what you have been up against, and may find specific techniques that help when needed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance