Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MrRightEnough
New Contributor

New member introduction

Hi, I am a solo dad of 2 'at home' boys (19 + 13), the youngest has low function ASD + OCD + Turrets...We're doing OK, just very isolated...no extended family... Gets tough sometimes..
6 REPLIES 6

Re: New member introduction

Hi MrRightEnough. Can I ask if you have any sort of help with the boys? Having the problems they have would make for limited social gatherings. If there is any sort of club where you could take them with other people having similar problems, it would take a bit of the strain from you. I take it there is no mother figure there. You need 'time out' as much as they need interaction with other people with mental health issues. Sometimes family, even though they have the best of intentions, because they're family, they don't always 'see' what the problems are. If you could interact with others in similar circumstances, it would be a great benefit to you and them.

Hello @MrRightEnough

Boys have it tough in many ways, but yours are lucky to have a hands on dad.

Take care.

Hi Pip, we do get 'help' however the quality of it is very poor.

School is my only real relief...Corey has been banned from outings with local disability providers..

We have no extended family and yes.. The mother lives itinerantly 1000 kilometres away and has very little (no) contact...

Over energetic boys are a handful. @MrRightEnough

So glad that there are good dads around.  We need to concentrate on that more rather than making the gender divide bigger.

many topics seems fair on this site .. parenting .. feelings .. thoughts ..  genuine fellowship

Take care of you so those boys have a chance.Smiley Happy

Apple

Hi @MrRightEnough

I'm really glad you reached out here. It sounds like social isolation is a big one for you. Are you geographically isolated too (ie: in a small town?)

Nik

Dear MrRightEnough. Have you been in contact with family services for some help. Having two handicapped sons must entitle you to some extra help. With the 19 year old, perhaps respite might offer some suggestions. I know respite offers help two or three days a week. The 13 year old, as I suggested ask family services if they can offer some assistance. It sounds as though their mother would be of little help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance