Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Healthymind
New Contributor

New diagnosis of Bipolar disorder 2

Hi,
I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar after my first manic episode in NZ.
I have since returned to Brisbane where we live.
I have two young children and am feeling a bit overwhelmed and not coping so well with the care of them.
Just wondering if there are other young mums or dads out there who could give me some advice and coping mechanisms.
I know I can't be too hard on myself and for the next six weeks I have to be patient while the meds kick in. I'm under a great psychiatrist and my husband is really supportive. ..but know one really knows what it's like unless you've been through it.
Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New diagnosis of Bipolar disorder 2

Welcome to the Forums @ Healthymind. I hope you find some kinship and understanding through the pages of these posts. Perhaps @Tight-Control, @Former-Member, @kato, @JT, @kristin, and@Rosie can offer some insight and suggestions to cope a little better.

It can take a while for people to adapt to new diagnoses, and then the potential changes in medication. It’s important to reach out and get that extra support. And to know when you need it is a powerful skill. I think the fact you like your psychiatrist puts you in good stead to be recovering at a good pace.

Hope to see you around the haunt.

Snoopy

Hi @Healthymind !

Echoing on from what Snoopy said, support from your husband is crucial over the next few weeks, to help with the kids and give you a bit of time to yourself when you feel like you need it. Its fantastic he is there for you, even though he may not understand what you are going through. 

There is a great thread here about a single mother living with Bipolar, and this here is a discussion around Bipolar disorder that we had on a 'Topic Tuesday.'

What are you doing at the moment to adjust to the new circumstances? How are you taking care of yourself?

All the best,

Zahlia

Oh my heart goes out to you. Gosh well done firstly. Brave steps ☺. I've three small children & it's exhausting, let alone the hard times us mum's give ourselves wether we are meeting our kids needs emotionally, physically, mentally, etc etc. If it helps, I I actually fell asleep on the couch. I just couldn't go on & felt I could just sleep & sleep! I must have hit a low & they are hard once your in. However I have learnt that other bi-polar mums have this same guilt. For me it helps to relate to other's because often the ones who we want to understand..don't. Just be kind to yourself & do whatever you need to do. I find my kids really help me some days & I think they came to help me in this lifetime. ☺ I wish I had better advice, because some days I'm just floating above water. You are not alone.x

Thank you all for your tips, advice and understanding. I'm feeling very alone and low at the moment so any support is greatly appreciated.

Hi @Healthymind

I had 2 babies 16 months apart and there were times I feel asleep with them crawling on the floor around me. 

My best advice is to work out what your bottom lines are re parenting ... eg re food, hygeine, play, limit setting and then work up from there.

Give yourself credit for doing more ... be realistic ... a mum is a person too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance