Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My life partner has Bipolar ii

@Shaz51, thank you. You are too kind.

Does anyone have any experience with ECT treatment and Bipolar II to manage lows?

Mr Darcy has had ECT @Mrsjones. Do you have specific questions.

Hello @Former-Member,
Mr Jones has the opportunity to take on a treatment course of 4 weeks/ 12 treatments of ECT, I wanted to hear from people who had experienced it and if it had help minimise or prevent any future depressive moods with bipolar.
We understand and have a plan with his psych on the correct medications for during and after the treatment but wanted to know any real life results.

We were concerned that 4 weeks of treatment and side effects will not be worth it and that he will be back in the same position within 3 months again (his normal cycle).

Questions- 

How successful was the treatment?

long term/ short term/ permanent? 

We are very lucky to have access to such great treatment opportunities.
Thank You

@Mrsjones  

I am not sure how much I can say in relation to community guidelines.  

Mr Darcy had 2x series ECT, the first was successful but remission was short term (for a number of reasons). The second time remission has been sustained for 3 1/2. From what I have read (+ was the case for Mr D), this was likely due to combination ECT and appropriate medication being initiated.

It is important to understand benefit vs risk. There are potential side effects. There are guidelines as to monitoring of these.  Mr Darcy has significant memory loss however this was balanced against his condition being potentially terminal by way of self harm. 

If not on a treatment order, informed consent will need to be given prior to each round of treatment.  Reviews throughout treatment should occur.

This might help you.

https://www.yourhealthinmind.org/treatments-medication/ect

Reference:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.chiefpsychiatrist.wa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CP_E...

@Mrsjones 

On the lived experience side there is this post that talks about ect from patients points of view 

Thank you again @Former-Member, you have been such an amazing help.
I guess its just so hard given the results so different, but i guess thats in line with every other medication/ treatment.
It fully makes sense to look at it from a Risk Vs Benefit point of view.

Thanks again

@Former-Member  how are you tonight Heart

Going OK @Shaz51 

Need to start a new search for a friend, I had met a girl with similar interests who was in need of a friend but she got a permanent place to live in another town a long way off 😔.

ohh @Former-Member 

how are your neighbours and did you have some friends through church

or do they have some groups in town to get involved in

a kind of friend who has not spoken to me for a year is texting me asking to get together sometime over christmas ??? mixed emotions

and i know mr shaz won`t want to

i am off to bed

hope you sleep well tonight

christmas time -- we mostly spend it with MIL ect

I like to spend it with my family this time -- have to see

@Shaz51 hope you get a good nights sleep and sort something out where you get time with your loved ones at Christmas.  

The only plan I have for Christmas at present is to get a box of quality streets chocolate and tuck into my favourite toffees for breakfast (yellow wrapping). 😀 Mr Darcy is peopled out at present and we have visitors coming this weekend 😵 ... decided a little while ago another trip might be too much for him.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance