Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Misty-Mirrors
Senior Contributor

My Story

I had a difficult childhood.
When I was 17 I had delusions and suffered from paranoia. I managed to finish my schooling. I was dux of my school and won to scholarships for university.
At 19 I left home and travelled in Australia. I was still ill. At the end of that year I bought a psychology book and a religious book. I made a friend who I trusted. I lost my delusions and paranoia.
Then I went to university and graduated when I was 23.
In my first professional job my health went bad. I heard voices. I was frightened - I could not cope. I went to a public psychiatric hospital. I was given medication and diagnosed as schizophrenic. The treating psychiatrist told me that he didn't believe that I had a bachelor degree.
For two years I did unskilled work. Then I found a trainee computer software development job.
I worked as an anslyst/programmer for 30 years. During that time I had some more episodes.
I never married but had a few girlfriends. The longest relationship lasted 3 years.
I bought an apartment in the inner suburbs of an Australian city. I travelled to Europe, Asia and North America.
I am 69 now. I paint and write. I won prizes in competitions. I do voluntary work.
53 REPLIES 53
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: My Story

Hi and welcome @Misty-Mirrors 

thank you for sharing your story! I have had people question whether i could really be so ill at times because i have been able to study. Its a strange world.. where people are very quickly stereotyped.. even today. 

Wow about the painting and competitions, well done. I love music and used to play some instruments... but im so bad at visual arts stuff! If you wanted to share any of your paintins i'd love to see some, but of course you don't have to! What voluntary work do you do? I would like to get into some voluntary work soon but very busy at the moment with two lil ones and other stuff at the moment.

Welcome again,

LJ

Welcome @Misty-Mirrors,

Thanks for sharing about your interesting life. You sound like a person of inner strength. Your engagement with painting, writing, volunteering is inspiring. In the past I have been involved in acting in theatre (late teens), film and video making, music and writing. Many years ago I travelled to Europe, USA and Canada. I'm 52 and feeling stuck in the doldrums at present. Your story gives me glimmers of hope for the future. Glad to meet you.

Welcome @Misty-Mirrors

Your story shows many of the issues in MH; the lack of credibility in community, the courage and endurance, and the flip side of psychotism .. immense creaivity.

Former-Member
Not applicable

A warm weekend welcome ...well actually it's rather nippy outside here today but toasty inside. I've got my youtube fire on again Smiley Wink...Couldn't agree with the folks more...an inspiring story and great to see you hanging in there and highlighting what a rich and adventurous life we can all have....

Former-Member
Not applicable

I played flute as my main instrument but took up clarinet and learnt some piano and guitar at uni as well. I did have a go at drums for about 6 months and enjoyed it a lot back then.. but i dont play any more, except an occasional nursery rhyme for my kids on the recorder or keyboard.

I tried to have a look at your site but it seems to have gone or the link is broken.

Hope you are staying warm, its so cold here! I'll need that virtual fire today @Former-Member!

lj

I am a bit like lisajane, mazarita and you.  Music and books are my main interests. Environment and social justice are the areas where I do most of my voluntary work.

Hello AB1.
Thank you for your comments.

Hello Lisajane.
My last post got deleted by the owners/moderators because I am not allowed to include links to my personal website. I am not allowed to reveal my real identity.
What did you study at university?

Hello Appleblossom.
Environmental and Social Justice are some honorable activities. I helped poor people thru the St. Vincent de Paul Society for a while. I stopped it for a while. I have problems giving benefits to people who I believe are "con artists". Some people, however, say that "crooks" need help also.

Lets hope we werent in the same conference, opshop or soup van!  I backed out of it for similar reasons too but was involved in varying degrees for about 7 years. 

As Catholoc charity was a big part of my childhood, when I had a spare moment after kids, I wanted to both "give back" and "check it out".

I also wanted my son to see wider social issues.  One day he was writing out a food voucher to a single mum .. when a kid he knew from school waltzed in .. all good learning.

Yes we all need a helping hand .. but what type of hand .. hmmmm ..

Hello Appleblossom.
You chose a good name. I was originally German. There people often have tree branches (with flowers) in their vases instead of flowers.
I became a Catholic as an adult. I am a convert. I am serious about my religion. It helps me to live.
How many children do you have? Are you still practising your religion?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance