Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Mania and the aftermath

May I ask if anyone else who has had a manic episode didn’t fully recover from it? I am speaking specifically about a prolonged episode of full mania not hypomania... a while ago I had a manic episode that lasted over 6 months and I was in hospital for about a month during that time. It was incredibly intense and for the first 2 months I didn’t sleep for more than an hour a night. I feel like I have never completely gotten rid of the after effects after that episode I had nearly a year long depression which was also very intense and also landed me back in hospital. Has anyone else had a long episode of mania? My head still doesn’t feel right and I’m idk if it was the mania or the meds or both, idk how to explain the feeling but it just doesn’t feel right. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mania and the aftermath

@Eden1919  Hey Eden1919 I had sporadic bouts of mania which would hit me like waves for 18 months. Personally I dont think my mind has improved at all. When my meds were low dose I was most like myself but then I would have a break out and become manic again (aggressive or just plain crazy). I do think my meds are negetavely affecting my mind but my mind has been permanently affected by the 18 months of mania too. My mania was literally terrifying most of the time an example was when I was in my kitchen and I heard voices screaming at me around the ceiling. It was deafening. I actualy thought there were microphones put in the house another time I heard the same angry voices screaming and muttering down the hallway. IMHO I think my mind has taken such a pummelling that it will never fully recover.

@greenpea  Yeah I mean for me I can think so so so so so much clearer OFF meds like meds make me feel like my mind is sand going through a siv. Maybe it was the meds either way I am still not emotionally over it at all. 

@Eden1919  you know what I hate about the meds are being so sleepy all the time and my tremors in my hands.

@greenpea  Yes I had that too you get up to go and have a nap in another spot. And the tremor is terrible when you are trying to drink tea. 

@Eden1919 😞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance