Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shaz51
Community Guide

Let`s talk about Bipolar

after our Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT tonight 

I thought it would be great to open a new thread so we can share our stories,our experiences including  daily hints and tips and to encourage each other every day 

@TideisTurning@Daisydreamer@eth@Mazarita@greenpea , @Former-Member , @Sophie1@frog@Strivetothrive@Meowmy@Olga@Nance@BPDSurvivor@citttycat@HenryX@Appleblossom@Dimity 

CR_Health-II-hot-drinks-coffee-12-15.jpg

1,671 REPLIES 1,671

Re: Let`s talk about Bipolar

@Shaz51 great idea, Shazzy

just come online and so missed the live part. I have been diagnosed with bipolar for over 47 years. Like to hear form people who have had bipolar for a long time.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I unfortunately missed it, got the time zone all wrong. But I have read through the comments and I was very sad to see that as usual there is no conversation or information about being drug free and how to manage this.  Drugs for one reason or another are not for everyone and even being on them is not the be all and end all. The side effects as we all know are not good, they cause insomnia of which is a big trigger of mine. Diabetes, weight gain which are all very bad for us, but that's okay as long as you are sedated and not an issue for anyone else.  I don't understand the fear of the medical profession in not discussing this issue. Has Sane got information on How to cope with this??? Being open and honest and having the conversation isn't going to harm anyone. BUT not having the conversation does.

Hi @frog @Shaz51  @Meowmy @Klutz @Former-Member @greenpea @Olga @Shaz51 @eth @HenryX @Appleblossom and all reading,

Missed the live discussion tonight but just read through the whole 18 pages. It was great to hear from other people with bipolar and everyone who posted there. I learned in thought and heart from reading it.

I do not remember any time at all since I was 5 years old (now 58) when I was in any real state of wellness mentally, nor functional with school or work. Almost all the time with what's been called bipolar 1 for about the past decade, I've mainly had major depression and anxiety. That was my clinical diagnosis for 20 years before it became clear my condition was better described and treated as bipolar.

I had one five-year manic episode, during which I also cried a huge amount and at length very often, and also often went from high to low rapidly in one day. Then I crashed to the max for several years afterwards.

In 2019 I became hypomanic and achieved amazing things for a year before another massive crash after coming back from overseas. Good news is I have been very slowly recovering again over the 15 months since, and will soon be getting a lot of extra support from NDIS to help with my wellness.

I am starting to think depresson underlies everything in bipolar. I saw an informational graph the other day that had everything rising from a bed of major depression. I wonder if anyone relates to that. I'm also interested in other's thoughts on the role of family genes.

@Mazarita 

Hello Mazarita,

Yes, I do relate to what you are discussing. I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 20 years ago and certainly have suffered from high levels of anxiety. Mentioned elsewhere that I remember sitting on a step where I lived and thinking "this feeling will go away, all I have to do is 'hang in there'".

I have been told that my father had bipolar. I have considered cyclothymia as the other possible issue.

Cheers, @HenryX

@Mazarita @HenryX  and all who follow I would have to agree.  For me it is feelings of suicide and the like which are never rar away. I just never talk about it.

Hi @greenpea @HenryX 

Another all nighter for me. Wonderful watching the sunrise and hearing the dawn chorus of birds, dominated by crows where I live.

@greenpea I was only really suicidal once in my life for about 9 months but I have sometimes wondered over the years if that will end up being the way I go. Mostly I think not. But death has been on my mind a lot over my whole life since maybe 10 years old. In adulthood I have been on some sort of journey about trying to accept death as part of life. This may help me to handle these death thoughts and even perhaps grow wiser with them. Maybe.

@HenryX your experience on the step reminds me of when I was in my 20s, I searched a great deal for some way I could cure myself of depression and anxiety. Like you I kind of believed that I would find the answer and it would then pass. Researched the subject a lot, especially some of the core people in psychology when it was really just starting out. Two I found especially interesting and inspiring were Carl Jung and William James.

I believe my father had bipolar. He was like Jekyll and Hyde in a lot of his behaviour. But in his generation and place in society there was almost total stigma and lack of knowledge about such a thing as bipolar.

@Shaz51 @greenpea @Daisydreamer @TideisTurning @Appleblossom @HenryX 

I would have loved to have been there last night, but I can't do anything like this at home with him there.

However, I've read through most it now, instead of working, and not much of it was new to me or really very helpful... possibly because I'm in such a bad mood about it all.

"be patient" "be understanding" "look after yourself" "set realistic goals"... I read stuff like that and at the moment it just makes me think that I'm doing it all wrong if coping with him and helping him mend is that effing easy.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train barrelling toward me in a perpetual mixed state.

grrrrrrrr

Hello. I really enjoyed the conversation last night eventhough it is difficult for me to navigate my way through the technical stuff as I am not real good with online stuff etc. I don't have Facebook because a couple of times, when in mixed state, I totally embarrassed myself with stuff I put on my time line. I would have never believed I wrote all that as I couldn't remember a thing, but it was there for all to read....

You guys talk about suicidal thoughts which I am also too familiar with. I nearly finished myself off in May 2017  and my question is if I will recognise in time when things are getting so bad and I need to seek help as it becomes dangerous.  Will I know what to do if it happens again?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance