Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Snowdrop
Senior Contributor

I look at the past and am concerned about the future!

I'm not sure I am even on the correct forum! I have been on before for issues relating to my children and gained help and support. Many things are better than they were thank goodness, although some things won't change that much - but maybe I have come more to an acceptance of that and have learned to cope with what I can and just accept the rest, some of it which cannot be changed.

Recently though I find I am becoming  ???? not worried, not frightened, not scared but possibly more aware that I am in the 4th quarter of my life. I don't think I noticed this before until Covid-19 came along, then we hear that people over 70 are more at risk and shouldn't move around too much - even articles concerned with having to not treat over 70's as preference should be given to younger people.

I'm fit, healthy and happy most of the time. My life experiences have been hard - right from when I was a young child but I think I have coped with all the things that have been thrown at me quite well. Right now though I sometimes think that my life has been spent caring for others - many siblings, family issues, then parents, then in law issues, as well as issues with my children. It's not that any of this was bad compared to what a lot of other people have to go through - the more recent issues with one of my children has been the hardest thing thrown at me.

I have helped nursed two loved sisters through terminal illness and then helped my beloved parents through their end days. I look back and have joy at a lot of what I have been through and my life, but sometimes I wonder - what about me? I feel I became lost in everything and I often think that God got it wrong when he only gave us one life - he should have given us two so that we could learn from the first - although having said that I have no doubt I would have done the same things all over again. I might also add that I am religious and have faith.

I have 3 grandchildren I love so dearly and recently I have found myself thinking I might not get to see them go to University, I will probably not see them get married or have children - and suddenly I realise my years are limited!

When you're younger the years ahead stretch out in front and you think they will never end but then ......

I begrudge the fact that up until I was unable to travel to see my children and grandchildren and heard that I was 'elderly' or just downright 'old' I didn't think of my age - now its been thrown in my face and I can't go back.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I look at the past and am concerned about the future!

Dear Snowdrop

I also find that I spent the majority of my time here on earth dealing with all the drama of others within the family and have just come to realise that I have been unappreciated all this time. I have 1 daughter who is the classic victim of domestic abuse and 2 beautiful grandchildren whom I am no longer allowed to have contact with.

It most certainly makes you wonder and worry about the future. I had 2 heart attacks in a 4 day period and it does make you reconsider a lot of things.

My 7 year old grandson told me I looked about 80, I'm 52!

My gorgeous and wonderful grandmother died 12 months ago, I used to bounce things off her shoulder. Now I have no one to 'bounce' with. At the moment I have depression, my husband has PTSD, my brother lives with us and he is Bi-polar and my mother is a schizophrenic depressive. I live in a house of nut jobs and it's not easy. I have been banned from my daughters house so can't even check how she is doing with the kids. The little one is always sick and my daughter has Multiple Sclerosis and she is no longer in remission so her cognitive abilities are not the best so I worry that she can't protect herself or her children when he goes off. I wake up crying everyday, then I realised I can do something proactive and positive. I am applying for visitation rights. At my age I want all the time I can get with my grandkids.

So Snowdrop it sounds to me you have a couple of choices.you can turn the other cheek and try not to get anything thrown in your face. Or you can take the high road, sit back and wait for them (it'll never happen) to come to you because of hurt pride. 

Re: I look at the past and am concerned about the future!

hello and hugs @Snowdrop@MrX1 

how are you going today 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance