Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: How do triages work please?

@Former-Member 

You have asked a reasonable question and done nothing wrong. The post generated a lot of discussion. I think this is great. Thank you 🙏 for asking the question.

It up to people like me who respond to keep to the community guidelines. I hope I did 🤔.

Its an area of much hurt and some hope possibly. I hope you can develope a crisis plan that will support you and help you survive the tough times. I found writing a crisis plan very difficult but it helped me a great deal.

WriterMelb

Sorry everyone it just seemed like I did something wrong. @WriterMelb @Amour_Et_Psyché @BlueBay @greenpea @Former-Member and others who replied

Hi @Former-Member 

There was nothing wrong with your question, this appeared to be a reminder for everyone I think.  You have asked a question that a lot of people responded to positively which is fantastic so please let me encourage you to keep up the great posts.

Sylvester 

SANE Moderator 

No @Former-Member  they were talking about me. My post was removed and I had to edit it because it seems SANE doesn't agree with my directness and honesty, as per usual. Yes, it is my experience, however it is a far more common one than apparently SANE is willing to accept, instead covering up for services is more important. I am honest only because I believe we all deserve to know what really goes on so we can make properly informed decisions about our mental healthcare. Clearly that is not appreciated by the mods, and I will refrain from providing advice in the future because of it. 

By the way, I received no notification that the post needed editing and just came this morning to see it gone, which was rather disappointing because it took me hours to type it because the site isn't mobile friendly. I had to check my email for my account, which I don't do often. 

Thanks for supporting each other in this discussion about the complexities of Triage responses.  I would like to reiterate the concerns raised by @Amour_Et_Psyché please follow these guidelines - thanks.

Sylvester 

SANE Moderator

I'm not sure what you're  talking about @Former-Member , I've never seen you on these forums let alone on my posts until now?

@Amour_Et_Psyché @Sylvester what have I done wrong?

I meant the mods were talking about my first reply to the topic, that is what was "wrong", not you or your topic. I'm sorry if you only wanted replies from members you usually engage with, I replied because I have knowledge and experience and if you only wanted to hear from people you engage with regularly, it would have been wise to say so. Sorry my honesty has brought negative attention to your post. 

It's fine, I didn't mean anything rude, I was just confused @Former-Member 

Understood @Former-Member 

Hello @Former-Member @Former-Member @WriterMelb  and @Sylvester @Amour_Et_Psyché 

Thank you first and foremost @Former-Member  for bringing up a subject that needs to be discussed openly and in many areas improved.

I believe that the responses made by @Former-Member  and @WriterMelb were relevant..truthful..and not disrespectful...perhaps more despairing of a system that is not working...

I am totally confused about who wrote what and which bit was removed.

Regardless...this is a vital subject that I have not come across anywhere on these forums to date. This of course does not mean that it has not been discussed before.

Due to the nature of research on any subject ...it is within a range of selections re wording..

Mental triages vary from state to state as well as from region to region...

no different to mentality within any area where there is service to the public..

I personally have not been exposed to the experience however my family member has (referred to as family member for privacy reasons out of respect for my family member)_

I have however had to deal with the trauma of achieving to have a triage attend...

This is written from the aspect of a concerned family member who is basically put through the third degree regardless of the fact that they are so stressed and extremely concerned for their family member..

This needs to be written and heard..

Anyone having to suddenly find themselves in this situation is so extremely traumatic in the first place on all sides of carer and person being cared for or person in need of help at that time as deemed by a caring concerned associate..

From my experience the level of seriousness,,,response and acceptance by someone from the triage team varies from state to state..

I have spoken to several in different states due to my family member's situation...

In the state that he was living in, where I still am the service was appalling and took many many calls.

Therefore I believe that dependent on who actually makes the call, in some states, makes a difference..

We (parents of person in need) were told the person had to be either threatening someone's life or threatening to take their own...

Hmmm

Yes I know that the population is large....however...I seriously struggle with the above.,..

Then of course following through if the person is assessed by a triage team , usually accompanied by police, as remember they have to be in danger of threatening their own life or as well as others...

they are handcuffed and taken off to the local psychiatric ward of the public hospital..

I will not go into what occurs after as I know this post if not already, will be removed if I continue..

There are also triage teams in other states who are clearly in the right jobs...they care and genuinely show concern for the patient...they will talk to concerned family members within the privacy laws...at least there is something there for the carers and family members...

@Former-Member @WriterMelb @Former-Member 

Please do not stop writing about this subject...

For the very fact that if nothing is stated about such situations how can there be change...

we are in a time where "mental health" which I abhor the title of but is needed to be said to fit into the bucket of money funded; is supposedly and most hopefully listening to those of us who have actual experience with these triages...not just guidelines ..

no offence moderators...

allow us to have a voice...

amend our posts if need be...

we mean no menace..

we want to be heard..

we want to bring about change...

we want to help people who are already suffering and then treated as second hand citizens.

it won't be the first time that my post has been withdrawn

I am open to that...

I am not disrespecting sane...

I have the greatest respect for sane knowing how and why it was started..

I want to continue on speaking up in areas where people are frightened to or are silenced..

so allow us to discuss this vital subject which affects so many many people over the whole of this country..

who will support me in this?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance