Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Disclosing MH in the workplace????

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to reach out and hear about experiences good or bad, as it could go either way, from experience also, about disclosing your MH in the workplace?  

I've read and seen people on the net and youtube disclosing their MH issues in the workplace and read some stories on here too, that some places accomodate for MH concerns, while some may not... I've had the answer forced out of me also back in 2016 where I thought the truth would help, not the case... 

Has anyone on here, reading this got to that next step - If so, does it help or is it better keeping it under wraps...

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Disclosing MH in the workplace????

@Former-Member on the whole I've found it better to be transparent with management especially if needing time for appointments. It would have been easier to have been transparent with colleagues too although not all respond positively.  What didn't work was being selective with who knew as I felt uncomfortable when my MH status was disclosed to others without my permission. Feeling a need for privacy and fearing or actually experiencing stigma are very personal and everyone will reach different decisions re disclosing depending on circumstances and what feels right with the stage of their health journey. I've worked with people who were offhand or contemptuous but never outright abusive. But I should also say that I rarely felt accepted or supported with my MH issues, unlike the times I had visible physical impairments or illnesses.

@Dimity thanks for sharing and your experience - I would love to be transparent and see where it goes, but did you wait till you proved you could do the job before disclosing? And how long did you wait - I feel as though it would be a stab in the dark as to what the outcome would be

Honestly @Former-Member
I think it depends on the workplace.
Being able to read the situation and then go from there is essential.
In my experience it varies. Some will say government roles are better because they have provisions and legislation for fair work etc. Which is true but in my experience this can't prevent bad culture emerging.
Happened to me earlier this year in my old role where a manager made a fuss knowing I had trouble at her workplace in the past. She didn't like being told that but upper management and she basically made it awkward on me. I handled it well I think. But it made me question myself I must say.

I guess the most important thing for you is to suss out the situation for yourself and just go from there.

Its ultimately your call as to what you say and I think there's no correct or wrong answer.

Do you think it would go down well at your workplace ?

Hi @Flying_Hams thanks for responding I will try to gauge out the workers, but I'm thinking of keeping it to myself as suggested by psych - what's a 50/50 could probably be better odds if I stay quiet - I dunno still 

Yeah those odds are a toss up @Former-Member
Keep us in the loop
Youre a good man never forget it

@Former-MemberI have schizoaffective disopolar/ bipolar  I and I would tell the boss even though that  it might lead a degative reactioon.                                              i

@Clawde  Hey hunny. How are you going? I have booking with cardiologist. Wishing you a super pea day Heart

Hi @Former-Member 🙂 

I thought I'd reach out to share one of the Topic Tuesday's we had on the forums this year, talking about employment. A big part of the discussion was disclosure of mental health in the workplace, and there are lots of great perspectives. Here is the link Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST 

Hope this is a helpful resource 🙂

Hey there @Former-Member 

I think this is an important question – how much of  our mental health story do we share in the workplace, and what are the things that make us feel safe to share?

Disclosing your mental health in the workplace, for me, is context dependent. I've had experiences in the past where I've shared and received a disappointing response from colleagues, but I've also been fortunate to have worked in spaces where I've been more open about some of my mental health issues and it's been wonderfully supportive. On the whole I tend to disclose if I feel safe, comfortable and it's helpful for me to do so.

@Former-Member have you had a particular experience you'd like to share, or things that have/haven't worked for you in the past when disclosing mental health in the workplace?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance