Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

Hi @CheerBear  Have you heard anything from them since your review meeting?  Hope it's good news for you xx

Hey @eth. Thanks for checking in about this. I have just over a week until my plan expires and am currently waiting for my new one. It could come through anytime between now and a couple of weeks away and right now I feel like I'm bracing myself for another NDIS smashing. I asked my support coordinator to call me when it comes through rather than me seeing it first, so he can support me if it all turns ugly. I have no reason to believe it will be anything other than bad so I thought it was a good idea to plan for it to be that way.

I did hear back about my request for a plan review I have been waiting since the start of February for though. Someone called me the next working day after my scheduled plan review meeting to tell me my request for a review had come up and to make a time to do it. I cracked it 😡 The call felt like a kick while I was down given I'd been waiting all year for it and as soon as it became redundant they finally got to it. It was completely laughable and very typical of my NDIS experience so far, hence why I'm bracing myself now.

Feeling very nervous about it all 😏

Hi @CheerBear   wishing you all the best for a positive outcome with your new plan and that you feel it's enough to help progress your goals.  How typical of NDIS to stuff you around regarding your request for review months prior.  I'm sure you told them you'd had your new plan meeting and didn't need the review done after all in no uncertain terms.  I would have cracked at them too.  I guess all you can do is 'hurry up and wait' for your new plan.  Mine came through the day after the old one expired and is for 2 years.  Hope the same for you.  Good idea getting your CoS to see it first.  I also got my plan manager to go over it with me and work out exactly what I am entitled to in each category e.g. how many psychology appointments, how many support hours per week, etc.  I can't remember whether you are agency, plan manager or self-managing.  

Hey @CheerBear 

Good luck with your new plan.  I hope it's a good one.  I've been reading in the facebook ndis groups that if they time a review with when a new plan is coming out, dont cancel the review as you might still need it.  Sorry but I dont know all the details, I'm still trying to get supports up and running for my first plan, but having a review in your pocket may come in handy.

I have my fingers crossed for you 🙂

Thanks @eth. I'm self managed which would be great if I had the right funding in the right place 🙂

Hi and thanks @Alone. I too hope this new plan is a helpful one. I asked about keeping that review open in case this plan is again not right but was told I couldn't. It's a shame as the person who called sounded so much more understanding than the LAC who did my review a couple of weeks ago. Will wait and see, crossing my fingers.

I hope it's going OK for you getting supports in place. When it works it seems to work well but when it doesn't it seems to go very belly up!

Kudos to you @CheerBear   there's no way I would be able to self- manage.  That must involve a lot more time on admin for you.

It's not too bad @eth. That may be because it seems you engage with a much broader amount and type of support services than I do. I'd struggle with the admin involved in everything you have to do. All I really need is my counsellor, psych and an outreach based mental health worker of some kind (plus a little support coordination initially and for plan reviews). The LAC/s struggled to understand my needs it seems and funded/have tried to fund everything and anything except them 😏 We'll see 🤞

@eth could you give me a summary version of ...
1) What did you do differently do eventually be approved?
2) What are the actual practical benefits of the NDIS?
Cheers, Liz

Hi @-Liz-   I have to apologise but don't have time to give you the information you ask for today.  Both very good questions.  When next I get a chance I'll reply in detail.  My mum is here already and things are hectic til I go away until Jan 7th.  Really hope you can be patient - nothing re NDIS is likely to change before then anyway - they are on shut down from today until the 6th as far as I know.  I will answer you but just can't do it right now.  Tagging @CheerBear @Appleblossom @greenpea  in case you would like to answer @-Liz-  until I am able to.  TIA  xx

@-Liz- They are good questions. 

It is not a given, and a lot depends on your own personal circumstances. I have heard people call it a full- time job and some reject it.   I have begun a plan and am half way through my first year.  It has been working for me, with only minor hiccups.  I can honestly say I feel better supported than ever in my life.  I am getting a few extra allied health sessions to help with physical (neck) issues, more one to one attention which is emotionally grounding, and reduces isolation, and soon I will get help doing the things I cant manage in the garden.  Just an example.

Take Care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance