Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

@MattyToo  I haven't met you before so Hi.  I'd love more details if possible.  I don't have a clinical manager, just GP and psychologist so far in my new location.  Thanks in advance.

@Kurra Thanks. Did you find anything out?

Yes I did @eth. My friend is writing out all the processes for you and I should have these in the next couple of days. 🎶💕

@eth we actually found it way less arduous a process than getting on centrelink's disability support pension, if you have any experience with that. It was a ~12 page form and most of it was for a psych and gp to fill out (mostly questions about diagnoses, prognosis, severity, symptoms, etc. Fairly standard). The bits we did fill out with our clinical manager were all focused on symptoms ("how does your illness affect your every day life?") and what areas we wanted help with (this bit was check boxes, things like getting dressed, transport, house modifications, community support, preparing food, mobility aids, etc).

The one thing we did notice was that they wanted the gp/psych to have reasonable confidence our disability would be life long, or close to it. Centrelink only wanted certainty for ~2 years.

And of course, all of this is before you even get accepted!! Once accepted there's a big process to determine what sort of funding you get, but as we mentioned we haven't actually been accepted yet so we can't advise.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much @Kurra and @MattyToo.  Looking forward to hearing more Kurra and hoping it works out for you MattyToo.  Would love to use this thread to keep track of the process as it may be useful for others too.

Mental Health and the NDIS

Look up this group on Facebook if you have it. It's a FB group I started a couple of months ago, mental health and the NDIS. It's just for participants, potential participants and parents and carers. We message every member prior to accepting request asking to confirm this. We have over 700 members and growing

I am in western Sydney and rang to apply for NDIS in October last year. Got forms in Jan handed them back into office two weeks ago. Now just a waiting game to hear back from them in regards to planning meeting

Thanks @Kateeg84. I've just sent my forms in too.  I didn't feel there were enough ways to explain how my conditions effect me.  Now I start the waiting game too.

Will be interested to hear how you go. Did you get your psychologist to do the forms as well?

@MattyToo @eth

yeah it's definitely a catch 22 situation of needing support to get access to the scheme but then it is the scheme that provides the support.  Local area coordinators LAC's in each area are supposed to be helping people get on to the NDIS. Regarding waitlists I hear that people arleady accessing disability services through ADHC will roll in first, then participants of other disability services such as Day to Day Living, HASI, PIR and then about 18 - 24 months later the general public. so in my area the NDIS rolled in in July 2016 as I am not with any service I believe it could be until 2018 that my application could be considered, however that really doesn't sound right.. hmm

glad to hear you got your forms filled in, looking forward to hearing to its progress!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance